Calculating Probability of Bowman Gaining 28+ Points in 3 Shots

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, when calculating the probability of Bowman gaining at least 28 points in 3 shots, it is necessary to take into account the order of the shots and distinguish between the different combinations that could result in a score of 28. This is because each combination is a distinct event, even if they have the same outcome, and must be accounted for separately.
twoflower

Homework Statement

Bowman shoots into a dartboard, with possible gain ranging from 0 to 10 points.

Probability that he shoots 30 points in 3 shots is 0.008.

Probability that he shoots < 8 in one shot is 0.4.

Probability that he shoots exactly 8 in one shot is 0.15.

What is the probability that he gains at least 28 points in 3 shots?

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution:

[tex]
P(X \ge 28) = P(X = 28) + P(X = 29) + P(X = 30)
[/tex]

We know P(X = 30) so it's sufficient to count P(X = 28) and P(X = 29).

X = 28

This situation can occur either if:
(a) He shoots 10, 10 and 8 (in any order)
(b) He shoots 10, 9, 9 (in any order)

So I guess:

[tex]
(*)\ \ \ \ P(X = 28) = (P(X = 10).P(X =10).P(X = 8))+(P(X=10).P(X=9).P(X=9))
[/tex]

What I'm interested in is whether this is ok. I don't know if I should take into an account that (let's take for example the case (a)) the bowman can shoot the points in any order, ie. 10, 10, 8 or 10, 8, 10 and so on.

Don't I have to multiply (*) with 3! so that I cover all the orders in which the shooter can gain those points?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
twoflower said:
So I guess:

[tex]
(*)\ \ \ \ P(X = 28) = (P(X = 10).P(X =10).P(X = 8))+(P(X=10).P(X=9).P(X=9))
[/tex]

What I'm interested in is whether this is ok. I don't know if I should take into an account that (let's take for example the case (a)) the bowman can shoot the points in any order, ie. 10, 10, 8 or 10, 8, 10 and so on.

Yes, you have to account for the fact that Bowman can shoot a 28 by any combination of 10,10,8 or 10,9,9.

Don't I have to multiply (*) with 3! so that I cover all the orders in which the shooter can gain those points?

Why 3!=6 ? How many distinct permutations of 10,10,8 exist? (Hint: Not 6).

You also need to determine the probabilities that Bowman will shoot exactly 9 and exactly 10 in a single shot to answer the question.

D H said:
Yes, you have to account for the fact that Bowman can shoot a 28 by any combination of 10,10,8 or 10,9,9.

I'm little confused, why shouldn't I distinguish between those two 10-points shots?

Ok, if I won't distinguish between them, then I will have 3 ways of ordering the shots.

And, is there any simple answer to WHY do I have to take the order of the shots into account? I just can't see it...

D H said:
You also need to determine the probabilities that Bowman will shoot exactly 9 and exactly 10 in a single shot to answer the question.

I did it this way:

[tex]
P(X = 10) = \sqrt[3]{P(X=30)}
[/tex]

[tex]
P(X \le 9) = 1 - P(X = 10)
[/tex]

[tex]
P(X = 9) = P(X \le 9) - (P(X < 8) + P(X = 8))
[/tex]

Twoflowers, I am answering your reply in reverse order.

twoflower said:
D H said:
I did it this way:
[tex]
P(X = 10) = \sqrt[3]{P(X=30)}
[/tex]

[tex]
P(X \le 9) = 1 - P(X = 10)
[/tex]

[tex]
P(X = 9) = P(X \le 9) - (P(X < 8) + P(X = 8))
[/tex]

Correct.

twoflower said:
D H said:
I'm little confused, why shouldn't I distinguish between those two 10-points shots?

Ok, if I won't distinguish between them, then I will have 3 ways of ordering the shots.

And, is there any simple answer to WHY do I have to take the order of the shots into account? I just can't see it...

Note that you were able to calculate [itex]P(X = 10) = \sqrt[3]{P(X=30)}
[/itex] because there is only one way to get 30: 10 on each shot. You did not distinguish between the 10s because they are indistinguishable. Similarly, there are three ways (not six) to shoot a 28 by shooting two tens and an eight: 10,10,8; 10,8,10; 8,10,10. These three combinations are distinguishable. On the other hand, 10,10,8 is indistinguishable from 10,10,8.

Switch gears to a different problem: Rolling a pair of dice. There are 36 total combinations. There is only one way to get boxcars: probability=1/36. There are two ways to get a total of eleven: 5+6 or 6+5. Probability=2/36. You have to account for the order because the two events are distinct events that happen to have same outcome as far as the total is concerned.

D H said:
Note that you were able to calculate [itex]P(X = 10) = \sqrt[3]{P(X=30)}[/itex] because there is only one way to get 30: 10 on each shot. You did not distinguish between the 10s because they are indistinguishable. Similarly, there are three ways (not six) to shoot a 28 by shooting two tens and an eight: 10,10,8; 10,8,10; 8,10,10. These three combinations are distinguishable. On the other hand, 10,10,8 is indistinguishable from 10,10,8.

Switch gears to a different problem: Rolling a pair of dice. There are 36 total combinations. There is only one way to get boxcars: probability=1/36. There are two ways to get a total of eleven: 5+6 or 6+5. Probability=2/36. You have to account for the order because the two events are distinct events that happen to have same outcome as far as the total is concerned.

Thank you DH, now it's much more clear to me :smile:

1. How do you calculate the probability of Bowman gaining 28+ points in 3 shots?

The probability of Bowman gaining 28+ points in 3 shots can be calculated by using the binomial distribution formula. This formula takes into account the number of trials (3 shots), the probability of success (Bowman scoring 28+ points in a shot), and the number of successes needed (3 shots scoring 28+ points).

2. What data is needed to calculate the probability of Bowman gaining 28+ points in 3 shots?

To calculate the probability, you will need the number of shots taken by Bowman and the number of those shots that resulted in 28+ points. This data can be obtained from previous games or by observing Bowman's performance during practice sessions.

3. Can the probability of Bowman gaining 28+ points in 3 shots change?

Yes, the probability can change depending on various factors such as Bowman's performance, the team's strategy, and the opponent's defense. It is essential to regularly update the data used in the calculation to get an accurate probability.

4. Is the probability of Bowman gaining 28+ points in 3 shots a guarantee?

No, the calculated probability is not a guarantee that Bowman will score 28+ points in 3 shots. It is an estimation based on the available data and should not be treated as a definite outcome. Factors such as fatigue, injuries, and other game situations can affect the actual result.

5. How can the probability of Bowman gaining 28+ points in 3 shots be used in a game?

The calculated probability can be used by the coach or team to make informed decisions during the game. For example, if the probability is high, the coach may choose to give Bowman more opportunities to score 28+ points. However, the team should also consider other factors such as the opponent's defense and Bowman's current performance before making any decisions.