1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability problem

1. Aug 16, 2004 #1
    hi
    i am trying to show that for 2 probabilities [tex]p_{0}[/tex] and [tex]p_{1}[/tex] that [tex]X=\frac{p_{1}}{p_{0}}[/tex] cannot be further from 1 than [tex]Y=\frac{p_{1}(1-p_{0})}{p_{0}(1-p_{1})} [/tex]

how i went about the problem was as follows:
    i split it into 3 cases, case 1 is where [tex]p_{0}=p_{1}[/tex], case 2 is where [tex]p_{0}>p_{1}[/tex], and case 3 is [tex]p_{0}<p_{1}[/tex]

for case 1 we have [tex]X=Y=1[/tex] so X is not further from 1 than Y

for case 2 we require that [tex]\frac{1-p_{0}}{1-p_{1}}<1[/tex] for Y to be less than X
    this is true if [tex]1-p_{0}<1-p_{1}[/tex]
    <=> [tex]p_{0}>p_{1}[/tex]
    which is what we were assuming in first place

case 3 is a similar argument but with the inequality sign changed from less than to greater than.

i dont think the reasoning is that great, for example can i assume that multiplying a number by another number that isless than 1 but greater than 0 will result in a number smaller than the original. also unsure about the implications in case 2.

i need to be shown how to improve the reasoning as i'm not satisfied with the current way it is but i cant think of any way to improve it.

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A note on the way you expressed this: you said "X cannot be further from 1 than Y" and I at first interpreted this to mean |1-X|< Y. But you clearly mean |1-X|< |1-Y|.

In tiny steps- If p0> p1 then p0/p1= X > 1 so |1-X|= X-1. Also, in this case, -p0> -p1 so 1-p0> 1-p1 and, finally, (1-p0)/(1-p1)> 0. Then
    Y> X> 1 so |1-Y|= Y-1. You need to show X-1< Y-1 or X< Y (which we said above).
    If p0 < p1 then the inequalities work the other way: Y< X< 1 so |1-X|= 1-X and |1-Y|= 1-Y. Now you need to show 1-X< 1-Y or X>Y (again, we just said that).

By the way, since probabilites CAN be equal to 0 or 1 you should state explicitely that your inequality does not work in those cases.

4. Aug 16, 2004 #3
    thanks for the reply!
    i'm not sure i completely understand. for starters i cant see how you can say that -p0> -p1 and p0>p1. doesnt mutliplying by a negative change the inequality. and in your tiny step guide i see it boils down to showing whether X<Y, which was the the part i wasnt sure how to do.
    case 2 for example (p0>p1):
    do i show X<Y by first saying (along with inlcuding your "tiny steps") that we require
    [tex]\frac{1-p_{0}}{1-p_{1}}<1[/tex] (*)
    (*) is true iff [tex]1-p_{0}<1-p_{1}[/tex]
    iff [tex]p_{0}>p_{1}[/tex] (**)
    but we know (**) by assumption so (*) must also be true hence X<Y?

i think there were some subtleness in your proof but it kind of went *whoosh* straight over my head

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?