1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability problem

1. Aug 29, 2003 #1
    OK I've been working on a math problem for a while now, and the answer just isn't coming any help would be appreciated.
    This is for an independent study class. I am basically teaching myself various math subjects that we don't get in school.

here it is:

Four letters are chosen at random from the word MISSISSIPPI. Determine the probability that at least three I's are chosen.

now I know the answer should be (29/330) according to my book, but I can't come up with this answer.

It seems to me that the logical thing would be to do this:

(4/11)*(3/10)*(2/9)*(1/8)= (1/330) the probability of getting all I's
    then
    (4/11)*(3/10)*(2/9)*(1-(1/8))= (7/330)

(7/330)+(1/330)= (8/330)= (4/165)

I've tried many other things to come up with (29/330) but I can't get that answer

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2003 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your second term (7/330) has to be multiplied by 4, since any one of the 4 I's can be omitted.

4. Aug 29, 2003 #3
    I was trying so many permutations and combinations that I was going crazy. If I would have just stopped and thought about it for a second and tried not to make it so complicated i might have gotten it. THanks for the help

5. Aug 30, 2003 #4
    Another way to solve the problem (simpler) is using combinatorics.

There are 11 letters and 4 of them are drawed,therefore the total number of possible combinations to draw 4 of them is:

N=C114=11!/[(11-4)!*4!]=330

How many possibilities exist that have at least 3 'I'?

We have:

I I I ? ;where for ? we have 1 'I',1 'M',4 'S' and 2 'P' as possibilities.Therefore we have 1+1+4+2=8 valid possibilities.

Now the position of ? (1 'I',1'M',4 'S' and 2 'P') in the above string can be on the first place,the second or the third place also.

For every such case we have 7 distinct possibilities left (1+4+2) (this is because 'I' do not give distinct possibilties when ? is on the first,the second or the third place).

Finally the required probability is:

p=[8+7+7+7]/N=29/330 q.e.d.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook