1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Problem

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that upon using a particular testing device, a defective component has a 70% chance of being found as defective, and a non-defective component has just a 10% chance of being found defective. Suppose also that within a quality control batch, the probability of a randomly selected component being defective is 12%.

i)What is the probability that a component selected at random from the batch is found to test positive (i.e. tests as being defective)?

ii)What is the probability that a randomly selected component is defective, given it is found to test positive?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i)I said:

(0.12)(0.7) +(0.88)(.1)=0.172

ii)'m having trouble wrapping my head around this one. Did I use the correct method for the first part? Also any help in the second part would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

This problem is a simple application of Bayes' Theorem. Are you familiar with it?

The answer to the first part is correct, by the way, although it's better to express the probability as a percentage since you're given percentages to begin with.

Before applying Bayes' Theorem, start defining your events and your conditional probabilities, e.g. ##p(D^+)## is probability of a random article being defective and ##p(T^+|D^+)## is probability of test positive IF article is defective. Surely, you've seen this sort of notation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted