1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability program

1. Jul 11, 2010 #1
    can anyone help me understand the following project specs? it is supposed to be relatively simply to code, but i can't even figure out what exactly i'm supposed to do.

there are 1000000 people choosing A or B. the process repeats 1000 times. 520000 chose A while 480000 chose B. but there was a 15% error in which B was mistaken for A or A was mistaken for B. is the 15% rate enough to make the results invalid? find the acceptable error rate.

this is what i have so far. i'm not sure how to take into account the error or number of people who actually choose A or B.
    Code (Text):

int main(){
        int A = 0;
        int B = 0;
        int aWins = 0;

srand(time(0));
        for (int j = 0; j < 1000; j++){
        for (int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++){
            if ((rand()%2) == 0)
                B++;
            else
                A++;
        }
        if (A > B)
            aWins++;
        }
        cout << aWins << endl;
        cout << (double)(aWins*100)/1000<< endl;
    }

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2
    You can introduce the swapping error into your code like so:

Code (Text):
    int main(){
        int A = 0;
        int B = 0;
        int aWins = 0;
            [B]int errorPercent = 15; // errorPercent% of the time, the comparison will be incorrect
    [/B]
        srand(time(0));
        for (int j = 0; j < 1000; j++){
        for (int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++){
            if ((rand()%2) == 0)
                            [B]if( (rand()%100) + 1 > errorPercent )
                      B++;
                             else
                                   A++;[/B]
            else
                            [B]if( (rand()%100) + 1 > errorPercent )
                      A++;
                             else
                                  B++;[/B]
        }
        if (A > B)
            aWins++;
        }
        cout << aWins << endl;
        cout << (double)(aWins*100)/1000<< endl;
    }
    Though, I'm not sure how you could find what is being asked... seems kind of silly. Maybe you just compare different levels of swapping error until you see a large difference between no swapping error and that level of swapping error?

4. Jul 12, 2010 #3
    just wondering.. why do you use (rand()%100) + 1?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. Jul 12, 2010 #4
    rand()%100 + 1 returns a number from 1 to 100.
    rand()%100 alone returns a number from 0 to 99.

We can examine a smaller example so we can work through the logic step by step:
    rand()%3
    A random integer has three possibilities: it is evenly divided by 3 (remainder 0), it has a remainder of 1 after division by 3, or it has a remainder of 2 after division by 3. Therefore, we see that rand()%n returns a number from 0 to n-1. Adding 1 brings this to a more "regular" range of 1 to n.

Then, in my code, I say that if a random number from 1 to 100 is greater than the error percent (15 in this case), then there is no swap. 16-100 are greater than that (which is exactly 85 numbers). 1 to 15 are below or equal to it (15 numbers). So we can see that the comparison yields true 85% of the time and false 15% of the time.

6. Jul 12, 2010 #5
    so regardless of the percent error, you would still use rand()%100 + 1?

7. Jul 12, 2010 #6
    Yes. The program will work for any realizable percent error (0-100). I haven't thought about how it behaves past 100% error or for negative percents, because that has no practical use here.

8. Jul 13, 2010 #7
    is it unnecessary information to have the 520000 people who voted for A and the 480000 people who voted for B?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook