Calculating Probabilities in a Quantum System

In summary, the initial state of a quantum system is given by three states in a complete and orthonormal basis, with the components being <\phi_1|\psi_i>=\frac{i}{\sqrt{3}}, <\phi_2|\psi_i>=\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}, and <\phi_3|\psi_i>=0. To calculate the probability of finding the system in a final state, we use the equation P|<\psi_f|\psi_i>|^2. By applying the completeness relation and inner product, we can find the probability of the final state, given by |\langle\psi_f|\psi_i\rangle|^2.
phyzmatix

Homework Statement

The components of the initial state [tex]|\psi_i>[/tex] of a quantum system are given in a complete and orthonormal basis of three states [tex]|\phi_1>, |\phi_2>, |\phi_3>[/tex] by

[tex]<\phi_1|\psi_i>=\frac{i}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
[tex]<\phi_2|\psi_i>=\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]<\phi_3|\psi_i>=0[/tex]

Calculate the probability of finding the system in a state [tex]|\psi_f>[/tex] whose components are given in the same basis by

[tex]<\phi_1|\psi_f>=\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

[tex]<\phi_2|\psi_f>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}[/tex]

[tex]<\phi_3|\psi_f>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually, I must admit that I don't really know what I have to do to answer this question. However, while experimenting with possible approaches to a solution I got to

[tex]P_1=|<\phi_1|\psi_i>|^2=|\frac{i}{\sqrt{3}}|^2=-\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

[tex]P_2=|<\phi_2|\psi_i>|^2=|\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}|^2=\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

[tex]P_3=|<\phi_3|\psi_i>|^2=|0|^2=0[/tex]

But is it possible to get a negative probability?

Also, since the three states are orthonormal, shouldn't they automatically be normalized, and the total probability [tex]\sum{P_i}=1[/tex]?

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
phyz

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what is the equation that describes the probability of finding the initial state in the final state?

In your work, you make no mention of the final state. Also, it is impossible to get a negative probability. The [itex]||^2[/itex] mean to multiply the value by its complex conjugate, so you shouldn't get a negative value.

Hi there nickjer! Cheers for your reply.

nickjer said:
First, what is the equation that describes the probability of finding the initial state in the final state?

I'm not sure actually...could it be

[tex]P|<\psi_f|\psi_i>|^2[/tex]

?

But how would I find the states from the given info? (I'm sorry if these questions are trivial and elementary, but I'm studying these subjects without the aid of lectures and often struggle to figure these things out by myself).

In your work, you make no mention of the final state. Also, it is impossible to get a negative probability. The [itex]||^2[/itex] mean to multiply the value by its complex conjugate, so you shouldn't get a negative value.

Ah, you see, I didn't realize this from the available examples (they obviously skip steps assumed as known).

Your basis is complete and orthnormal. This means you can express any state as:

[tex]|\psi>=x_1 |\phi_1>+x_2 |\phi_2>+x_3 |\phi_3>[/tex]

The conditions given to you tell you what the x's are for the different states. Now, you just need to take the inner product.

On a side note, the wording of a problem is bad imo. One never finds a particle in some random "state" since the wave-function is not observable. One can only ever observe the observables of that state. Anyways, this is just pedantic...but still...

phyzmatix said:
I'm not sure actually...could it be

[tex]P|<\psi_f|\psi_i>|^2[/tex]

?
Yup. (I assume you meant P equals the modulus squared, not P times that quantity.)
But how would I find the states from the given info? (I'm sorry if these questions are trivial and elementary, but I'm studying these subjects without the aid of lectures and often struggle to figure these things out by myself).
You have a complete set, so you can say

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^3 |\phi_j\rangle\langle\phi_j| = 1[/tex]

If you apply this to [itex]|\psi_i\rangle[/itex], you get

[tex]|\psi_i\rangle = 1|\psi_i\rangle = \sum_{j=1}^3 |\phi_j\rangle\langle\phi_j|\psi_i\rangle[/tex]

To evaluate [itex]|\langle\psi_f|\psi_i\rangle|^2[/itex], try inserting a 1 between the bra and ket.

Last edited:
Exactly as vela said :)

sorry, wrong topic!

Matterwave said:
Your basis is complete and orthnormal. This means you can express any state as:

[tex]|\psi>=x_1 |\phi_1>+x_2 |\phi_2>+x_3 |\phi_3>[/tex]

The conditions given to you tell you what the x's are for the different states. Now, you just need to take the inner product.

On a side note, the wording of a problem is bad imo. One never finds a particle in some random "state" since the wave-function is not observable. One can only ever observe the observables of that state. Anyways, this is just pedantic...but still...

Thanks for the input!

vela said:
Yup. (I assume you meant P equals the modulus squared, not P times that quantity.)

Typo :smile:

You have a complete set, so you can say

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^3 |\phi_j\rangle\langle\phi_j| = 1[/tex]

If you apply this to [itex]|\psi_i\rangle[/itex], you get

[tex]|\psi_i\rangle = 1|\psi_i\rangle = \sum_{j=1}^3 |\phi_j\rangle\langle\phi_j|\psi_i\rangle[/tex]

To evaluate [itex]|\langle\psi_f|\psi_i\rangle|^2[/itex], try inserting a 1 between the bra and ket.

Thanks for this, it's brought to light a whole new angle on my understanding of these "bras", "kets" and bloomin wave functions! :biggrin:

nickjer said:
Exactly as vela said :)

:wink:

1. What is a quantum state?

A quantum state is a mathematical description of the physical properties of a quantum system. It represents the probability of finding a particle or system in a particular state or location.

2. How does probability play a role in quantum states?

Probability is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the likelihood of a particle or system being in a particular state at a given time. The quantum state is represented by a wave function, which contains all the information about the probabilities of different states.

3. Are quantum states deterministic or probabilistic?

Quantum states are probabilistic in nature. This means that the outcome of a measurement or observation of a quantum system cannot be predicted with certainty, but rather with a certain probability.

4. Can quantum states change over time?

Yes, quantum states can change over time. This is known as wave function evolution and is governed by the Schrödinger equation. The state of a quantum system can change when it interacts with other systems or is observed/measured.

5. How do scientists study and manipulate quantum states?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study and manipulate quantum states, such as quantum entanglement, quantum superposition, and quantum measurement. These techniques involve controlling and observing the behavior of particles on a very small scale, using specialized instruments and equipment.