1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability quesiton

1. Dec 16, 2004 #1
    ok, so what is the probability that the sum of 8 will appear before the sum of 7 when rolling 2 fair dices. How do I even start this?

so with 2 fair dice, the probabality of gettng a sum of 8 is 5/36 right(2 6, 3 5, 4 4, 5, 3, 6 2)? and I got the same for the sum of 7(1 6, 2 5, 3 4, 4 3, 5 2, 6 1), 5/36.

so what do I do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2004 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think you meant there are 6 ways to get a sum of 7:

(1 6, 2 5, 3 4, 4 3, 5 2, 6 1) or 6/36 so there is a slightly greater probability of getting a 7 instead of 8 (only 5 combinations, or 5/36 of chance).

If they were equal, the probability of getting a 7 first would be 0.5.

4. Dec 17, 2004 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Break it up according to when the 8 appears. Can you find the probability that an 8 is thrown on toss n, but neither a 7 nor an 8 was thrown before that? How will this help?

5. Dec 18, 2004 #4
    That's making the question more complicated than it is. You just imagine rolling the die until the first 7 or 8. So you have a given: the last roll of this sequence is either a 7 or an 8. If it's a 7 then you rolled a 7 before rolling an 8 (imagine for a moment extending the sequence beyond the 7 until the first 8 to be sure of this); if it's an 8 then you rolled an 8 before rolling a 7. The conclusion is easy.

6. Dec 18, 2004 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There are 6 combinations that yield 7, and 5 combinations of getting 8.

All other combinations are irrelevant to this problem, because you are only interested in the total of 11 combinations that give 7 or 8.

So the probability of getting a combination that gives 7 = 6/(6+5) and the probability of getting 8 is 5/(6+5).

So what's the answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?