1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question. Find the probability that F_{X}(x) will be less than 1, etc

1. May 7, 2012 #1
    1) (1 pt) You are investigating a random phenomenon and have determined that the cumulative distribution function F_{X}(x):=P(X<x) of the random variable X has values F_{X}(1)=.5, F_{X}(2)=.74, F_{X}(3)=.92

A) Less than 1 _____

B) Larger than 2 _____

C) Between 1 and 3 _____

2) Equations: None that I know of that pertain to this particular problem.

3) Part A:
    0.5+0.74+0.92=2.16

So... 0.5/2.16=0.23148 Or 23.148%

I tried this for each part. I'm looking through my notes but they only have probability questions with equations.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You're given the cumulative distribution function (CDF). That gives the probability that X will be LESS than a given value x.

So what does [itex]F_X(1)[/itex] signify? The answer to part a) is immediate.

Can you now figure out the other two parts?

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    Solved. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook