What is the Probability of Getting More Heads than Tails in 4 Coin Tosses?

• Thread starter tae3001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting more heads than tails when a coin is tossed 4 times. The suggested method is to use the binomial distribution, with a 50% chance of getting either heads or tails on each throw. The formula for the binomial distribution is provided and examples are given to illustrate the concept.
tae3001
A coin is tossed 4 times. What is the probability of getting more heads than tails? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the binomial distribution.

I'm guessing about 25% :confused:

Juvenal's suggestion is good, but I thought I'd give you an alternate way of solving the problem. What is the probability of a certain combination och heads and tails? For example: first throw you ger tail, the three following throws heads come up. Then, think about in how many such combinations you would get more heads than tails.

juvenal said:
Use the binomial distribution.

is there.. a formula for it..
if its tossed 4 times.. and there are 2 sides..
wouldn't it be 4 choose 2?
if there are more H that t woudl it be HHH and T...
i hate probability questions.. :eek:

Every time you throw there is 50% chance of T and 50% of H.
So, if you throw once you have (P(x)=probability that x happens):
1. P(H)=1/2
2. P(T)=1/2.
If you thow twice:
1. P(H,H)=(1/2)*(1/2)=1/4
2. P(H,T)=(1/2)*(1/2)=1/4
3. P(T,H)=(1/2)*(1/2)=1/4
4. P(T,T)=(1/2)*(1/2)=1/4
If you throw four times there is 1/16 chance you'll get one of the 16 combination:
1. HHHH, 2. HHHT, 3. HHTH,... etc.
These three examples are all more Heads than Tails, how many more such combinations are there? If you can answer that, you're done.

I get it.. thanx.. u guys helped me graduate..(LOL).. awesome..

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical probability formula.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles, while experimental probability is based on actual observations and data. Theoretical probability is often used to predict outcomes, while experimental probability is used to analyze past events.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that have no influence on each other. The outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events that do have an influence on each other. The outcome of one event affects the outcome of the other.

5. How can probability be applied in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, determining the likelihood of winning a game, and making business decisions. It is also used in fields such as statistics, finance, and risk assessment.