Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability question, need help!

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    I need help with this hw question:
    The colors blue,white,black, and green are in equal demand for a type of car.Three succesive orders are placed for this type of car.Find the probability of the following events.
    a)one blue,one white, and one green are ordered.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should post under the HW section, and indicate your attempt to solve it.

4. Feb 5, 2008 #3
    if anyone could just help me get started im shure i could figure it out.Ive tried several techniqies with no succes, the answer in the book is .09375

5. Feb 5, 2008 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What techniques did you try?

6. Feb 5, 2008 #5
    i tried to find the probability that a black wasnt ordered and subtract that from 1 but i didnt get the right answer.I also tried doing a calculation were you find the "runs" of an event but that also failed.Aswell as other techniques i cant remember.

7. Feb 5, 2008 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How many different 3-combinations of 4 colors are there?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  8. Feb 5, 2008 #7
    ok there are 24 distinct 3-combinations, and that would be the denominator??What about the numerator?maybe ive been lookaing at this problem too long..:-(

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  9. Feb 6, 2008 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the denominator, you should allow for repetitions:

all black = {B, B, B, B} or all blue = {b, b, b, b} or 2 white, 2 green = {w, w, g, g} = {w, g, w, g} = {w, g, g, w} = etc....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?