Probability No Member Gets >1 Medal: Math Club

In summary, the probability that no member will receive more than one of the medals is 15/50625, or 0.0009.
resurgance2001

Homework Statement

There are 15 members of a maths club. There are 4 different medals to be randomly given to the members of the club. What is the probability that no member will receive more than one of the medals.

Homework Equations

Try to find the number of combinations where no member receives more than 1 medal and divide by the total number of ways the medals can be distributed.

The total number of ways the medals can be distributed is 15^4 = 50625. Use nCr. Or nPr but really not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer from the mark scheme is (15 x 14 x 14 x 12)/15^4

I just don't understand though how this answer was derived. I have tried experimenting with smaller numbers on paper but can't for the life of me figure it out and have not been able to find any similar questions in the textbook or online.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you give out the medals one a a time, what is the probability you can do it successfully with the first medal, without having one person with two medals? Then, once you have given out one medal, what is the fraction (probability ) of these cases, that you can give out the second medal, and still have no one with two medals? Then continue the process two more times. ## \\ ## And I think you have a typo in the answer that you gave.

resurgance2001 said:

Homework Statement

There are 15 members of a maths club. There are 4 different medals to be randomly given to the members of the club. What is the probability that no member will receive more than one of the medals.

Homework Equations

Try to find the number of combinations where no member receives more than 1 medal and divide by the total number of ways the medals can be distributed.

The total number of ways the medals can be distributed is 15^4 = 50625. Use nCr. Or nPr but really not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the answer from the mark scheme is (15 x 14 x 14 x 12)/15^4

I just don't understand though how this answer was derived. I have tried experimenting with smaller numbers on paper but can't for the life of me figure it out and have not been able to find any similar questions in the textbook or online.

The probability that the second medal goes to a different member than the first is 14/15, because each member has probability 1/15 of getting the second medal, and 14 of those members are different from the first recipient. The probability that the third recipient is different from both of the first two is 13/15, etc. (If I had been writing the answer I would not have bothered with the first factor 15/15 = 1.)

Likes Charles Link
Thank you - I think you have explained it very well and in the simplest terms.

So the first factor of 15/15 which you said is not really necessary is just saying that there is a 15/15 or probability of 1 that one of the 15 will get the first meddle - which is trivial. Thanks

1. What is the probability that no member of the math club will receive more than one medal?

The probability that no member gets more than one medal depends on various factors, such as the number of members in the math club, the number of medals available, and the level of competition. This probability can be calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes where no member gets more than one medal by the total number of possible outcomes.

2. How can we determine the number of possible outcomes where no member of the math club gets more than one medal?

To determine the number of possible outcomes, we need to know the number of members in the math club and the number of medals available. We can then use the formula for combinations to calculate the number of ways to choose a certain number of members to receive one medal each.

3. Is it possible for all members of the math club to receive at least one medal?

It is possible for all members of the math club to receive at least one medal, but it depends on the number of medals available and the level of competition. If there are more medals available than members in the math club, then it is possible for all members to receive at least one medal.

4. How does the probability change if there is a tie for a medal among multiple members?

If there is a tie for a medal among multiple members, the probability of no member getting more than one medal may decrease. This is because the number of possible outcomes where no member gets more than one medal decreases, as there are now multiple ways to choose the same number of members to receive one medal each.

5. Can we accurately predict the probability of no member getting more than one medal?

The probability of no member getting more than one medal can be estimated by gathering information about the number of members in the math club, the number of medals available, and the level of competition. However, there are other factors that may affect the outcome, such as individual skill and luck, so the exact probability cannot be accurately predicted.