Calculating % of Students with C or C+ in Exam | Probability Question

• Thread starter Destrio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, 65% of students received a grade of C or higher on the exam, while 45% received a grade lower than a C. This means that the remaining percentage must be shared between the two groups, making the percentage of students who received a C or C+ equal to 20%.
Destrio
The results of a exam had 15% of students earning atleast a "B", 65% with atleast a "C-", and 45% with less than a "C". What % of the students received a "C" or a "C+"?

The whole less than C and atleast C- thing is throwing me off and I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try thinking of it like this, if 65% of people got a C or higher, then what percentage got lower than a 'C' (hint: the total of the two must give 100%, since it covers the whole range). Now, using the other value quoted, namely 45%, what is the percentage between the two?:wink:

(no. of people with < C) + (no. of people with >= C) = (Total number of people involved)

I would approach this problem by first defining the terms used in the question. "At least" means equal to or higher than, while "less than" means lower than. So, we can interpret the results of the exam as follows: 15% of students earned a B or higher, 65% earned a C- or higher, and 45% earned less than a C.

To calculate the percentage of students who received a C or C+, we can subtract the percentage of students who earned less than a C from the percentage of students who earned a C- or higher. This gives us: 65% - 45% = 20%. Therefore, 20% of the students received a C or C+ on the exam.

It is important to note that the language used in the question can be confusing, but by carefully defining the terms and approaching the problem systematically, we can arrive at a clear and accurate answer. If you are still having trouble understanding, I would suggest breaking down the question into smaller parts and using a visual aid, such as a Venn diagram, to help visualize the information. I hope this helps.

What is the purpose of calculating the percentage of students with C or C+ in an exam?

The purpose of this calculation is to determine the proportion of students who scored a grade of C or C+ in a particular exam, as well as to understand the overall performance of the class or group of students.

How do you calculate the percentage of students with C or C+ in an exam?

To calculate this percentage, you would need to first count the total number of students who took the exam, as well as the number of students who received a grade of C or C+. You can then divide the number of students with a C or C+ by the total number of students and multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

Why is it important to calculate this percentage in terms of probability?

Calculating the percentage of students with C or C+ in an exam is important in terms of probability because it allows us to understand the likelihood of a student receiving a C or C+ in the exam. This can also help in making predictions about future exam performances.

What other factors should be considered when interpreting the percentage of students with C or C+ in an exam?

When interpreting this percentage, it is important to also consider the difficulty level of the exam, the grade distribution of the class, and any external factors that may have affected the students' performance. It is also important to compare this percentage with previous exam results to understand any trends or improvements in performance.

How can the percentage of students with C or C+ in an exam be used to improve teaching and learning?

By calculating this percentage, teachers can identify areas where students may be struggling and adjust their teaching methods accordingly. They can also provide additional support and resources for students who received a C or C+ in the exam to help them improve their understanding and performance in the subject.