1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question

1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On average a certain jockey falls from her horse once in every 10 rides. What is the probability that she will fall from her horse at least once in the next ten rides?

2. Relevant equations
    Answer is 0.651.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've no idea .. I thought of adding up the probabilities of the jockey falling once, twice, thrice, etc. but that just gives me an answer greater than 1 which would not make sense.

P(Fall at least once) = (1/10) + (1/10 + 1/10) + (1/10 + 1/10 + 1/10) + ...
    = 55/10

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You want to add up the probability that the jockey falls once out of the ten jumps+ the probability that the jockey falls twice out of the ten +... The probability that the jockey falls once is equal to 0.1*0.9*0.9*...*0.9 (where there are nine 0.9's).

Summing this for all the possibilities (i.e. 1 to 9 falls) will give the answer. However, can you see a quick way of doing this? What must the sum of the probability of all the choices (i.e. falls no times, falls once, falls twice...) be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?