1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    Ten discs numbered 0 to 9 are placed in a box. Two discs are randomly removed without replacement. Determine the probability that one disc will have the digit 5 written on it, and the other disc will have 6 written on it.

I tried cominatorics to do this question but im not getting the correct answer, and i also tried
    P(A/B)= P( A&B)/ P(B)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

So you want to get 5 and 6

P(5&6)= P(5)*P(6)

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    ummm that gives me 1/90 which is not the correct answer :|

5. Jun 10, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to pull two special disks from a collection of 10 disks. How many ways are there to pull two disks?

6. Jun 10, 2009 #5
    there are 10C2 ways which equal =45

7. Jun 10, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. Only one of those 45 ways will give you 5 and 6.

8. Jun 10, 2009 #7

diazona

Homework Helper

If you're going to do it that way, you need to consider the probability of getting 6 followed by 5, as well as the probability of getting 5 followed by 6. So it's really
    P(5,6) = P(5)*P(6) + P(6)*P(5) = 1/90 + 1/90 = 1/45
    same answer you get from combinatorics ;-)

9. Jun 10, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or: there is a 2/10= 1/5 probability of getting either 5 or 6 on the first disc. Having done that, there are now 9 disks left, one of which has the other (6 or 5) so there is a 1/9 probability of drawing that one. Together, there is a (1/5)(1/9)= 1/45 probability of drawing 5 and 6 in either order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook