Which Solution is Correct for Probability Question?

• Thread starter KevinItIs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses a GRE question with two possible solutions and asks for help in determining the correct one. The given probabilities of two events (A and B) are 0.80 and 0.60 respectively. The first solution considers the probabilities of A and B NOT happening and concludes that the answer is "C". The second solution calculates the probability of either A or B happening and concludes that the answer is "B". However, the experts clarify that the correct answer is "d)", as the information given is not enough to determine the correct solution. They also explain that assuming the events are independent is incorrect and provide the correct range of probabilities for Col A. Lastly, the person asking the question requests for further clarification to better
KevinItIs
I have a GRE question of which there are two possible solutions, both of them seem correct to me, but I can't decide which line of reasoning is right. So Its my humble request to the people here to help me decide which one is correct and WHY.
Given the probability of happening an event A is 0.80 and event B is 0.60.
Col A: The Probability of happening event A or B
Col B: 0.92

a)Col A is Greater.
b)Col B is Greater.
c)Both Col's are equal.
d)Answer cannot be determined from the information given.

Let P(A)= Probability of A happening = 0.80 ; P(B)= Probability of B happening = 0.60;
P(A')= Probability of A NOT happening = 0.20 ; P(B')= Probability of B NOT happening = 0.40;

Solution 1: P(A)P(B') + P(A')P(B) + P(A')P(B') = 0.8*0.4+0.2*0.6+0.8*0.6 = 0.32+0.12+0.48
=0.92. So on this basis, the answer is "C".

Solution 2: Prob that either A or B happens is 1 minus probability that neither happens. So
Prob = 1 - (0.20*0.40) = 0.20. So on this basis, the answer is "B".
Please Clarify which line of reasoning and hence the solution is correct.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Kevin. The correct answer is "d)". It cannot be determined from the data given.

Note that if we were to assume that that two events were independent then "c)" would indeed be correct. As it stands however all that we can really say about P(A or B) is that it's between 0.8 and 1 inclusive.

uart said:
Hi Kevin. The correct answer is "d)". It cannot be determined from the data given.

Note that if we were to assume that that two events were independent then "c)" would indeed be correct. As it stands however all that we can really say about P(A or B) is that it's between 0.8 and 1 inclusive.

Can you please explain why the line of reasoning that points to choice "b" is incorrect? Seems to me there isn't anything wrong with it. But of course I could be wrong, all I want to know is to why the second line of reasoning can't be utilized? It doesn't assume that the events are independent and hence satisfies the conditions in the question...

KevinItIs said:
Can you please explain why the line of reasoning that points to choice "b" is incorrect? Seems to me there isn't anything wrong with it. But of course I could be wrong, all I want to know is to why the second line of reasoning can't be utilized? It doesn't assume that the events are independent and hence satisfies the conditions in the question...

Ok the second attempt is just plain sloppy arithmetic, nothing more. 0.4 * 0.2 = 0.08 (not 0.8 - oh the shame).

In either case however you are assuming that the events are independent. You do this implicitly when you multiply probabilities.

In general Prob(A and B) is not equal to P(A) times P(B). That's why "d" is the only correct answer.

KevinItIs said:
Given the probability of happening an event A is 0.80 and event B is 0.60.
Col A: The Probability of happening event A or B
Col B: 0.92

All we can determine about Col A is that the probability of A or B happening is between max(P(A), P(B)) = 0.80 and min(1, P(A) + P(B)) = 1. If Col B were, say, 0.75 you could confidently say that Col A was greater. But since it's inside the range, it depends on the distribution of A and B.

Thank You both, CRGreathouse and Uart for your insights. Okay, the answer is D if that's the question. But let's change the question slightly. Let us assume both A and b are independent events. What follows in that case? Solution 1? Or 2?

What you call sloppy mathematics [except the error in calculation, sorry bout that, and sorry for the misinterpretation if miscalculation is what you called sloppy and not the approach] is actually a formula I double checked from an old high school mathematics book. The author states in this book that in cases where "ATLEAST ONE" of the independent events is to occur, the way to calculate the probability is [ 1 - (P(A')P(B')) ] where A and B are independent events. I guess the clause "A or B" must translate to "Atleast A or B". If not, the first line of reasoning should just assume P(A)P(B')+ P(B)P(A') and exclude the term P(A)P(B). I overlooked the "error" in my first post where its mentioned as "P(A')P(B')" [but its not my solution its what one of my friends thought.]

So? What should be the answer if we assume A and B as independent.

That said, I am requesting the answers to these questions most humbly and the doubts I have are just some misunderstandings in search of knowledge. I feel that if I can clarify some of these basics, the questions and doubts just resolve themselves out.

Thank you again for the help. Both of You.

Last edited:
CRGreathouse said:
All we can determine about Col A is that the probability of A or B happening is between max(P(A), P(B)) = 0.80 and min(1, P(A) + P(B)) = 1. If Col B were, say, 0.75 you could confidently say that Col A was greater. But since it's inside the range, it depends on the distribution of A and B.

Sorry but the max probability is 0.80 and the minimum is 1 !? Or am I misinterpreting something?

Please clarify..

KevinItIs said:
Sorry but the max probability is 0.80 and the minimum is 1 !? Or am I misinterpreting something?

Yes, you're misinterpreting it entirely. :tongue2:

The range of the probabilities is from
the greater of P(A) and P(B)
and
the lesser of 1 and P(A) + P(B)

KevinItIs said:
Thank You both, CRGreathouse and Uart for your insights. Okay, the answer is D if that's the question. But let's change the question slightly. Let us assume both A and b are independent events. What follows in that case? Solution 1? Or 2?

What you call sloppy mathematics [except the error in calculation, sorry bout that, and sorry for the misinterpretation if miscalculation is what you called sloppy and not the approach] is actually a formula I double checked from an old high school mathematics book. The author states in this book that in cases where "ATLEAST ONE" of the independent events is to occur, the way to calculate the probability is [ 1 - (P(A')P(B')) ] where A and B are independent events. I guess the clause "A or B" must translate to "Atleast A or B". If not,
the first line of reasoning should just assume P(A)P(B')+ P(B)P(A') and exclude the term P(A)P(B). I overlooked the "error" in my first post where its mentioned as "P(A')P(B')" [but its not my solution its what one of my friends thought.]

So? What should be the answer if we assume A and B as independent.

That said, I am requesting the answers to these questions most humbly and the doubts I have are just some misunderstandings in search of knowledge. I feel that if I can clarify some of these basics, the questions and doubts just resolve themselves out.

Thank you again for the help. Both of You.
Hi Kevin. When you fix the arithmetic error both of your initial approaches give exactly the same result (of "c" = 0.92). :smile:

Both of the approaches you used were correct.

Your first method was basically a decomposition into mutually exclusive components : P(A or B) = P(~A B) + P(A ~B) + P(A B).

Your second approach is basically De-Morgan's Theorem : (A or B) = ~(~A AND ~B).

A third method (my preferred) would have been to use : P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A B). This last method uses the fact that P(A) includes the probability that A alone occurs plus the probability that both A and B occur. Similarly P(B) also includes the probability that both A and B occur, so that P(A) + P(B) actually counts P(A B) twice hence the need to subtract it once. This is the most common method for this type of problem.

As you can easily check, if you make no arithmetic errors then all three of the above approaches give the answer of 0.92 if the events are independent.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that a particular event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you need to know the total number of possible outcomes and the number of outcomes that result in the event you are interested in. The probability is then calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual experiments and reflects the frequency of an event occurring in the real world.

4. How do you determine which solution is correct for a probability question?

In order to determine which solution is correct, you need to understand the context of the question and the specific formulas and concepts that apply. It is important to carefully read and analyze the question, and to check your calculations for accuracy.

5. How can I improve my understanding of probability?

To improve your understanding of probability, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to review the underlying concepts and formulas. You can also read books or articles on probability, attend workshops or seminars, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.