Probability of ijk + mn being Even

• Thread starter mplayer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, when choosing five positive integers between 2 and 2009, the probability of their product ijk + mn being even is 3.125% for the intersection of ijk being odd and mn being odd, and 65.625% for the intersection of ijk being even and mn being even. The union of these two probabilities is 68.75%.
mplayer

Homework Statement

Positive integers i, j, k, m, and n are randomly chosen (repetition is allowed) so that
2 <= i,j,k,m,n <= 2009 . What is the probability that ijk + mn is even?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Each of the positive integers is one out of 2008 numbers. 1004 of these numbers are even and 1004 of these numbers are odd. So, 50% chance of being an even number and 50% chance of being an odd number for each of the integers i,j,k,m,n.

I looked at the ijk term first and wrote out all possible combinations.

odd x odd x odd = odd
odd x odd x even = even
odd x even x odd = even
odd x even x even = even
even x odd x odd = even
even x odd x even = even
even x even x odd = even
even x even x even = even

1/8 possibilities are odd (12.5%) and 7/8 are even (87.5%)

I looked at the mn term next and did the same.

odd x odd = odd
odd x even = even
even x even = even
even x odd = even

1/4 possibilities are odd (25%) and 3/4 are even (75%)

Next, I looked at the term ijk and the term mn added together.

odd + odd = even
odd + even = odd
even + odd = odd
even + even = even

2/4 possibilities are odd (50%) and 2/4 are even (50%)

I'm really not sure where to go from here. Am I on the right track at least? I'm just not sure how to combine the above facts into a statement about the probability of [ijk + mn] being an even number. Any help is much appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, I might be wrong here, long since my last prob class but I believe you're almost there:
For ijk +mn to be even IJK AND MN must be either odd or even, so why not calculate the probability of BOTH being odd (intersection between the chances of ikj being odd and mn being odd), and the probability of both being even (prob of ijk being even intersection mn being even), and then compute the union of both probability sets.

I might be wrong, but i hope i can be of help

Chances of ijk being odd = 12.5%
Chances of mn being odd = 25%
To calculate the intersection for the above set would it just be (1/8)x(1/4) = (1/32) or 3.125%?Chances of ijk being even = 87.5%
Chances of mn being even = 75%
And likewise, for the above set would it be (7/8)x(3/4) = 21/32 or 65.625%?I'm not sure what you mean by the union of the two sets. How would the union between 3.125% and 65.625% be calculated? I'm not in a probability and stats class so sorry if this is an elementary question :)

The union of two probability sets is the probability of A happening OR B happening:
The chances of throwing a dice and getting 6 is 1/6, the chance of getting a 2 is 1/6, the chance of getting a 6 or a 2 is 1/6 + 1/6 = 1/3.

The intersection of two probability sets, which is the probability of A and B happening is computed like this:
The chances of getting a 6 is 1/6, the chances of getting a 2 is 1/6, the chances of throwing a 6 and then throwing a 2 are 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36.

I understand now, thank you for your help.

What is the concept of probability?

The concept of probability is a mathematical measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you are rolling a six-sided die and want to know the probability of rolling a 3, there is only one favorable outcome (rolling a 3) out of six possible outcomes, so the probability would be 1/6 or approximately 16.67%.

What does "even" mean in terms of probability?

In probability, "even" refers to the likelihood of an event occurring being exactly 50%. This means that there are an equal number of favorable and unfavorable outcomes. For example, when flipping a coin, the probability of getting heads or tails is even, as there is a 50% chance of either outcome.

How can I calculate the probability of ijk + mn being even?

The probability of ijk + mn being even would depend on the specific values of i, j, k, m, and n. To calculate the probability, you would need to determine the total number of possible outcomes and the number of favorable outcomes where the sum of ijk and mn is even. This would require a deeper understanding of the problem and the specific values involved.

What are some real-world applications of probability?

Probability is used in a variety of fields, including finance, statistics, and science. Some common real-world applications include predicting stock market trends, analyzing data in medical studies, and determining the likelihood of natural disasters. It is also used in everyday situations such as gambling, insurance, and weather forecasting.