1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question

1. Feb 17, 2010 #1
    1. Question http://tinyurl.com/ydwpqx4

2. ---

3. ---
    Hello. The link I provided has the entire statement of the question, and it's solution (Example 4.8).
    We know that P(1 or 6) for one throw = 1/3, and P(neither 1 nor 6) = 2/3.
    What I don't understand is why we don't cube 1/3 to get the probability of getting 1 or 6 for 3 die. The solution first cubes 2/3 and then subtracts it from the total probability 1. If we can get the probability of not getting 1 or 6 by cubing it's probability, why can't we get the the probability of getting 1 or 6 by cubing it's probability?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(1/3)3 is the probability that you get 1 or 6, on all three throws.

What you want is the probability that you get 1 or 6 on at least one of them. So you could write out the list (where Y means throwing 1 or 6, and N means any other number):
    P(1 or 6 shows up) = P(first throw gives one or 6) + P(second throw gives 1 or 6) + P(third throw gives 1 or 6) = P(Y) + P(NY) + P(NNY) = (1/3) + (2/3)(1/3) + (2/3)(2/3)(1/3) = (1/3)(1 + 2/3 + 4/9) = (1/3)(19/9) = 19/27.

The solutions take a shortcut, using the complement rule.

4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    Thanks a lot for your reply, and you cleared up the problem for me. But...

This is where I lose you. Wouldn't the probability of getting 1 or 6 in the second throw be 1/3 as well?

5. Feb 17, 2010 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.

But what I mean by P(second throw gives 1 or 6) is actually: P(second throw gives 1 or 6 and first throw doesn't).
    Since the throws are independent of one another, this is

P(second throw gives 1 or 6) x P(first throw doesn't give 1 or 6) = (1/3) x (2/3).

This counts the possibilities YY, YN (from the first 1/3) and NY (from the 1/3 x 2/3).

Just writing 1/3 also includes the possibility of both the first and the second giving 1 or 6, and you would count: YY, YN (from the first 1/3) and NY, YY (from the second 1/3). You see that you are double-counting YY (1 or 6 in both throws).

6. Feb 17, 2010 #5
    I get it now. Thanks a lot, you're a life saver!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook