Probability of Blue, White, Green Car Orders & Exactly 2 Same Color

• Thread starter Tangent...
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, there is a 1/36 chance that one blue, one white, and one green are ordered. Six orders are the same color (WGU, WUG, GUW, GWU, UGW, UWG).
Tangent...

Homework Statement

A firm sells a car in four colors; blue, white, green, and black. Three successive orders are placed for the automobile. What is the probability that one blue, one white, and one green are ordered? Exactly two of the orders are the same color?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried finding the total number of ways three orders could be placed with the color combos. So I used the combination formula for when repeats are possible, "(n+r-1) choose r" and came up with 36 possible order scenarios. I then figured that there is only one possible way to get the combo blue, white, and green (since order does not matter?). I got 1/36 which is not the answer. Any help would be great, I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I'm definitely missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
There may be 36 different combinations, but not all of them are equally probable, right?

WGU, WUG, GUW, GWU, UGW, UWG are all the same combination, but there's only one way to make BBB.

I was under the impression that WGU/WUG/GUW/etc. was considered a single combination, should I be thinking of each one as unique?

Well what are your assumptions about the likelihoods of the colors of the orders? I mean, it seems natural to me from the way these types of problems are usually posed that each order is a random color. That's not specified in your problem, however, so maybe I shouldn't assume that.

But if the answer to the first part of the question is 3/32, then my assumption is correct. (edited)

Maybe this will explain what I mean. When you roll two dice and add them up, there are 11 different totals they could be. But the probability that the total is 9 isn't 1/11.

So UWG and UGW are the same combination. But that combination isn't equally likely with the others.

The answer is 3/32, so it looks like your assumptions are correct. Just to clarify, in this case the order does matter, so UWG is different than WGU? How do we arive at the total number of options, since 36 doesn't seem to fit?

Well, there are four colors. So each order can be one of the four colors. So 43=64.

Six of those make the WGU combo, so it's 6/64 = 3/32.

I'll believe that. Thank you so much for the help!

What is the probability of ordering a blue, white, or green car?

The probability of ordering a blue, white, or green car depends on the availability of each color option and the overall demand for those colors. Without any specific data, it is difficult to determine the exact probability.

What is the probability of ordering a car with exactly two of the same color?

The probability of ordering a car with exactly two of the same color is also dependent on the availability and demand for each color option. However, assuming all color options are equally available and in demand, the probability would be approximately 33% (1/3).

How can we calculate the probability of ordering a specific color combination, such as blue and green?

To calculate the probability of ordering a specific color combination, we would need to know the total number of color options available and the demand for each color. We would then use the formula P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B) to find the probability of both colors being ordered together.

Does the probability of ordering a blue, white, or green car change over time?

Yes, the probability of ordering a blue, white, or green car can change over time due to factors such as changes in demand, availability of color options, and market trends. It is important to regularly gather data and update calculations to accurately determine the current probability.

How does the probability of ordering a car with exactly two of the same color differ from the probability of ordering a car with three different colors?

The probability of ordering a car with exactly two of the same color is typically higher than the probability of ordering a car with three different colors. This is because there are more possible combinations of three different colors compared to two of the same color. However, the exact probabilities would depend on the availability and demand for each color option.