Solving Probability Question Homework re:Discrimination in Jury Selection

In summary, the Mexican American population in a particular county in Texas was 79.1% of the population and the jury selection in the county was discriminatory based on the fact that only 39% of the jury members were Mexican American. If the probability of getting that, or less, is less than 1%, then the justice would find that there probably was discrimination in jury selection in the county.
zhfs

Homework Statement

This question relates to a famous court case in the USA where for the first time results of
statistical analysis were presented as evidence of discrimination. In 1972 Mr Partida, a
Mexican-American, was convicted of burglary by a jury in a particular county in Texas.
Mr Partida’s lawyers, appealed the conviction on the grounds that the jury must have
been selected in a discriminatory (and thus non-random fashion) because it had a
disproportionately small number of Mexican-Americans on it. They based their argument
on the following two pieces of information. First, a recent census had shown Mexican-
Americans made up 79.1% of adults in the population in that county and that this fact
was widely accepted. Second, in a sample of court cases in the county involving a total of
870 jury members, only 39% were Mexican-Americans. Assume that we will conclude
that jury selection in the county was discriminatory if there is less than a 1% chance that
a sample proportion of 39% (or less) would result from random selection from a
population where the proportion was 79.1%. If you were a Justice of the US Supreme
Court, what would your finding be? Would you find that there probably was
discrimination in jury selection in the county?

Homework Equations

lets put Pr[A] = 0.791
Pr = 0.39
number of Mexican American Jury is 870*0.39=339

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking use Pr[A|B] to work it out, but since event A and B are dependent, so i can't keep going

also i try using 870C339 (0.791)^339 (0.209)^(870-339)
but this one is at zero..

so can anyone give me some hint? i am totally lost on "less than a 1% chance that
a sample proportion of 39% (or less) would result from random selection from a
population where the proportion was 79.1%"

Physics news on Phys.org
With large numbers like those, I would be inclined to use the Normal approximation to the binomal distribution. If Mexican-Americans make up 79.1% of the population, then p= 0.791 and q= 1-0.791= 0.209. Fair selection would be binomial distribution with mean p= 0.791 and standard deviation [itex]\sqrt{pq}= \sqrt{(0.791)(0.209)}= \sqrt{0.165319}= 0.4066[/itex].

The "standard variable" would be [itex]z= \frac{x- \mu}{\sigma}= \frac{0.39- 0.791}{0.4066}[/itex]. Look that up in a table of the normal distribution to see if the probability of getting that, or less, is less than 1%.

A good table is at http://www.math.unb.ca/~knight/utility/NormTble.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your help!

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability used in solving discrimination in jury selection?

Probability can be used to analyze the chances of discrimination occurring in jury selection. By calculating the probability of certain demographics being selected for a jury, we can determine if there is a significant difference between the expected and actual representation. This can indicate potential discrimination.

3. What factors are considered when calculating probability in jury selection?

Factors such as race, gender, age, and socio-economic status may be considered when calculating probability in jury selection. These demographics may impact the likelihood of being selected for a jury and can help identify any potential discrimination.

4. Can probability be used as evidence in a discrimination case?

Yes, probability can be used as evidence in a discrimination case. If the calculations show a significant difference between the expected and actual representation of certain demographics on a jury, it can support a claim of discrimination in jury selection.

5. How can probability be used to address discrimination in jury selection?

Probability can be used to identify potential discrimination in jury selection and bring attention to the issue. It can also be used to advocate for more diverse and fair jury selection processes, such as random selection or using a larger pool of potential jurors.