What is the probability of a student engaging in specific behaviors in a class?

• Thread starter csc2iffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
I could helpIn summary, the problem involves a class of 500 students, where 210 smoke, 258 drink, 216 snack, 122 smoke and drink, 83 snack and drink, 97 smoke and snack, and 52 do all three. The probability of a student smoking but not drinking is (210/500)-??have you tried drawing a venn diagram?yes, but I'm getting confused because of the probability partthe probabilty of any portion of the venn diagram is just the number of students in it divided by 500. To solve for (a), we can subtract the number of students who smoke and drink (122) from the total number of students who smoke (210), which
csc2iffy

Homework Statement

This is one of my study guide questions and I need a little help

Suppose that in a class of 500 students 210 smoke, 258 drink, 216 snack, 122 smoke and drink, 83 snack and drink, 97 smoke and snack, and 52 do all three. What is the probability that a student:
(a) smokes but doesn't not drink
(b) snacks and drinks, but doesn't smoke
(c) neither smokes or drinks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sm=smokes
D=drinks
Sn=snacks

(a) Prob(Sm [itex]\cap[/itex] ~D) = P(Sm)-P(Sm[itex]\cap[/itex]D = (210/500)-??

Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried drawing a venn diagram?

yes, but I'm getting confused because of the probability part

the probabilty of any portion of the venn diagram is just the number of students in it divided by 500

this is my diagram... but how many people are left in c? i feel like this problem is simple but I'm just not seeing it

Attachments

• venn.png
    venn.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 404
you should have 3 circles, start filling it form the middle out

you know 52 do all three

and you know 97 smoke and snack

this mean 97-52=45 smoke and snack but do not drink, and so on

wow! it says it right in the question..nevermind lol

thank you for your help!

[itex]\cup[/itex]

no worries

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that a certain event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as P(event) = favorable outcomes / total outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations or data and may vary from the theoretical probability.

4. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. These values represent impossibility and certainty, respectively, and do not fall within the range of possible probabilities.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many areas of life, including gambling, insurance, finance, and science. It helps us make informed decisions by quantifying the likelihood of different outcomes and predicting the likelihood of future events.