1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that for two events A and B. A [itex]\subseteq[/itex] B. Show that [itex]B^{c} \subseteq A^{c}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]1- B \subseteq 1- A[/itex]

I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's really a "set" problem rather than a probability problem. I presume your "1" represents the "universal set" rather than a number?

The "standard" way to prove "[itex]X\subset Y[/itex]" is to start "let [itex]x\in X[/itex]" and, using the definitions and information you are given about X and Y, end with "therefore [itex]x\in Y[/itex]". Here, "X" is the set [itex]B^c[/itex], the complement of B, the set of all objects that are not in B.

So, if [itex]x\in B^c[/itex], then x is not in B. Since A is a subset of B (every member of A is also in B), x is not in A and so [itex]x\in A^c[/itex].

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    Hi HallsofIvy,

Is universal set and null set the same?

thanks,

green

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

rollingstein

Gold Member

No. Not the same.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    You mean by universal set Ω?

Also how does showing that
    x[itex]\in B^{c}[/itex] and x[itex]\in A^{c}[/itex]

show that

[itex]B^{c} \subseteq A^{c}[/itex]?

I'm not seeing this

7. Jan 29, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, it sounds like you are using [itex]\Omega[/itex] to mean the "universal set", the set of all things we are allowing in our sets.

It is NOT true that "[itex]x\in B^c[/itex] and [itex]x\in A^c[/itex]" implies [itex]B^c\subseteq A^c[/itex]" and I did not claim it was. What I showed was that if[itex]x\in B^c[/itex] implies [itex]x\in A^c[/itex], then [itex]B^c\subseteq A^c[/itex].

That follows directly from the definition of "[itex]\subset[/itex]". If you are doing problems like that you surely should know that definition.

8. Jan 29, 2013 #7
    [itex]B^{c} \subseteq A^{c}[/itex]

This means that B complement is a subset or equal to A complement. If x is an element of B complement and A complement than why must B complement be a subset or equal to A complement? How do I know that A complement is not a subset of B complement?

Since x is an element of A complement and B complement then...

B complement must be a subset or equal to A complement
    or
    A complement must be a subset or equal to B complement

how do I know which one is true?

9. Jan 29, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

None of that makes sense. If some x is an element of B complement and A complement then all that proves is that their intersection is non-empty. You need to think in terms "if x is an element of ... then x is an element of ..." You're trying to prove that Bc ⊆ Ac. Can you fill in the "..." ?

10. Jan 30, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't say that! A single "x" tells us nothing. The point was that this is true for all members of B complement. That is the definition of "[itex]X\subseteq Y[/itex]": for all [itex]x\in X[/itex], [itex]x\in Y[/itex].

By knowing what "subset" and "member" mean! Go back and look at my argument, showing that any element of B complement must be a member of A complement.

And that is the definition of "B complement is a subset of A complement".

If your are asking, as you appear to be, "How can I prove this without knowing any of the definitions", you can't!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook