Solve Probability Question Homework: Ex, Var X

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expected value and variance of a random variable with equal probabilities. The conversation involves using the formula E[X] = E[a+(X'-1)Δ] and discussing the calculation of E[X'] and finding the sum of the values in X'. The attempted solution involves pulling out a constant from the summation and using the formula 1+2+...+n+1 = 1+ (1/2)n(n+1), but this is incorrect. The correct solution involves starting from the original X and using the formula E[X] = E[a+(X'-1)Δ], without factoring out any constants.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Random variable X takes values a,a+Δ,a+2Δ,...,a+nΔ with equal probabilities. (a) What is Ex? (b) What is Var X?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

X = [a,a+Δ,a+2Δ,...,a+nΔ]
X = a+(X'-1)Δ
where X' is some random variable
X' = [1,2,...,n+1]
I test to make sure this is true
X = [a+(1-1)Δ,a+(2-1)Δ,a+(3-1)Δ...,a+(n+1-1)Δ]=[a,a+Δ,a+2Δ...,a+nΔ]
So it's true.

E[X] = E[a+(X'-1)Δ] = a+(E[X']-1)Δ

E[X']=[itex]\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}[/itex]X'P(X')

Since X has equal probabilities then X' has equal probabilities so it's just
P(X') = [itex]\frac{1}{number of entities}[/itex]
number of entities in this case is n+1 so
E[X']=[itex]\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}[/itex]X'([itex]\frac{1}{n+1})[/itex]
So I can pull out the constant from the summation
=[itex]\frac{1}{n+1}\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}X'=\frac{1}{n+1}(1+2+...+n+1)[/itex]
I know that the quantity 1+2+...+n+1 can be expressed as [itex]1+\frac{(n+1)n}{2}[/itex] so...
[itex]\frac{1}{n+1}(1+\frac{(n+1)n}{2}) = \frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{n}{2}[/itex]

however the answer key which my professor made up says that it should be [itex]\frac{n}{2}+1[/itex]. However I don't see how my answer is wrong.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide me in solving this problem. My professor didn't show in the answer key how hey got this and just wrote it without showing any work. I think he may be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:

Homework Statement

Random variable X takes values a,a+Δ,a+2Δ,...,a+nΔ with equal probabilities. (a) What is Ex? (b) What is Var X?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

X = [a,a+Δ,a+2Δ,...,a+nΔ]
X = a+(X'-1)Δ
where X' is some random variable
X' = [1,2,...,n+1]
I test to make sure this is true
X = [a+(1-1)Δ,a+(2-1)Δ,a+(3-1)Δ...,a+(n+1-1)Δ]=[a,a+Δ,a+2Δ...,a+nΔ]
So it's true.

E[X] = E[a+(X'-1)Δ] = a+(E[X']-1)Δ

E[X']=[itex]\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}[/itex]X'P(X')

Since X has equal probabilities then X' has equal probabilities so it's just
P(X') = [itex]\frac{1}{number of entities}[/itex]
number of entities in this case is n+1 so
E[X']=[itex]\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}[/itex]X'([itex]\frac{1}{n+1})[/itex]
So I can pull out the constant from the summation
=[itex]\frac{1}{n+1}\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}X'=\frac{1}{n+1}(1+2+...+n+1)[/itex]
I know that the quantity 1+2+...+n+1 can be expressed as [itex]1+\frac{(n+1)n}{2}[/itex] so...
[itex]\frac{1}{n+1}(1+\frac{(n+1)n}{2}) = \frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{n}{2}[/itex]

however the answer key which my professor made up says that it should be [itex]\frac{n}{2}+1[/itex]. However I don't see how my answer is wrong.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide me in solving this problem. My professor didn't show in the answer key how hey got this and just wrote it without showing any work. I think he may be wrong.

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n i = \sum_{i=1}^n i = \frac{1}{2}n(n+1).[/tex]

But I want to sum to n+1 and not n. How does this effect the answer? I haven't taken calculus 2 in several semesters. I remember some change of base thing.

[itex]\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}X'=\sum^{n}_{X'=0}(X'-1)[/itex]

Is this correct?

So now that I think of it using the information you provided

[itex]\frac{1}{n+1}\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}X'=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum [1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n+1] = \frac{1}{n+1}(1+[1+ 2+ 3 + ... + n]) = \frac{1}{n+1}(1+\frac{1}{2}n(n+1))=\frac{1}{n+1}+.5 n[/itex]

I still get the same answer

GreenPrint said:
So now that I think of it using the information you provided

[itex]\frac{1}{n+1}\sum^{n+1}_{X'=1}X'=\frac{1}{n+1}\sum [1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n+1] = \frac{1}{n+1}(1+[1+ 2+ 3 + ... + n]) = \frac{1}{n+1}(1+\frac{1}{2}n(n+1))=\frac{1}{n+1}+.5 n[/itex]

I still get the same answer

It is still wrong. Start again, and do not bother to look at X'; just go with the original X.

What am I doing wrong though? I can't seem to find what it is exactly that I am doing wrong.

1. What is probability in statistics?

Probability in statistics refers to the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It is typically represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you solve a probability question?

To solve a probability question, you must first identify the event and the sample space. Then, use the appropriate formula or method (such as the classical, empirical, or subjective approach) to calculate the probability.

3. What is the difference between experimental and theoretical probability?

Experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations, while theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions. Experimental probability is more accurate and reliable, but theoretical probability can be useful for predicting outcomes in theoretical scenarios.

4. What is the meaning of "Ex" in "Solve Probability Question Homework: Ex, Var X"?

In this context, "Ex" refers to the expected value of a random variable. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and then summing the results.

5. How is variance (Var X) related to probability?

Variance is a measure of how spread out a set of data is. In probability, it is used to measure the variability or uncertainty associated with a random variable. The higher the variance, the more spread out the data and the higher the uncertainty in the outcome.