1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that X has pdf

f(x) = k[itex]x^{2}[/itex] for -1[itex]\leq x \leq 1[/itex], 0 otherwise

(a) What is k?
    (b) What is E[itex]x^{n}[/itex] where n[itex]\geq 0[/itex] is an odd integer?
    (c) What is E[itex]x^{n}[/itex] where n[itex]\geq 0[/itex] is an even integer?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For (a) I get 1.5
    For (b) I get (-3/8)
    for (c) I get (9/8)

C is my concern because the expected value for when n is even is greater than one. Is this a problem? My initial thought that it was because x takes on values greater than 1 and have a probability of occurring. I have checked my work and saw nothing wrong. So I just wanted to make sure that my answer to c was impossible before posting my math. It's very simple math and I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your work. Your answers to (b) and (c) are wrong.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    Using the definition
    $$E[x] = ∫^{\infty}_{-\infty} x f_{x}(x)\, dx$$
    So in the case of raising to a power
    $$E[x^{n}]=∫^{\infty}_{-\infty} x^{n} f_{x}(x)\, dx$$
    We are given that
    $$f_{x}(x) =
    \begin{cases} kx^{2} & \text{for }-1 \leq x \leq 1 \\
    0 & \text{otherwise}
    \end{cases}$$

In part A, I solved for k and got ##k=\frac{3}{2}##.

Now for part B
    $$E[x^{n}] = \frac{3}{2} \int^{1}_{-1} x^{n} x^{2}\,dx = \frac{3}{2} \int^{1}_{-1} x^{n+2}\,dx = \frac{3}{2} \left.\frac{x^{n+3}}{n+3}\right|^{1}_{-1} = \frac{3}{2} \left.\frac{x^{n} x^{3}}{n+3}\right|^{1}_{-1} = \frac{3}{2}\left(\frac{1^{n}1^{3}}{n+3}-\frac{(-1)^{n}(-1)^{3}}{n+3}\right) = \frac{3}{2}\left(\frac{1^{n}}{n+3}-\frac{(-1)^{n}(-1)^{3}}{n+3}\right).$$ I think the correct answer is then ##\frac{3}{3+n}## when n even, 0 when n odd.

I think the first time I did this problem I plugged in 1 and -1 for both n and x and is the reason why I got the answers I did.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted