Solve Probability Question: Expected Values of Odd/Even Integers

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
I think I was supposed to plug in 1 and -1 for x and n was supposed to be an odd or even integer. I just tested it and it works out fine.In summary, we are given a probability density function for a random variable X and are asked to find the value of k, the expected value of X raised to an odd integer, and the expected value of X raised to an even integer. Using the definition of expected value, we solve for k to be 3/2 and then plug in the given probability density function to find the expected values of X raised to a power. We find that the expected value of X raised to an odd integer is 3/(3+n) and the expected value of
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Suppose that X has pdf

f(x) = k[itex]x^{2}[/itex] for -1[itex]\leq x \leq 1[/itex], 0 otherwise

(a) What is k?
(b) What is E[itex]x^{n}[/itex] where n[itex]\geq 0[/itex] is an odd integer?
(c) What is E[itex]x^{n}[/itex] where n[itex]\geq 0[/itex] is an even integer?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I get 1.5
For (b) I get (-3/8)
for (c) I get (9/8)

C is my concern because the expected value for when n is even is greater than one. Is this a problem? My initial thought that it was because x takes on values greater than 1 and have a probability of occurring. I have checked my work and saw nothing wrong. So I just wanted to make sure that my answer to c was impossible before posting my math. It's very simple math and I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that X has pdf

f(x) = k[itex]x^{2}[/itex] for -1[itex]\leq x \leq 1[/itex], 0 otherwise

(a) What is k?
(b) What is E[itex]x^{n}[/itex] where n[itex]\geq 0[/itex] is an odd integer?
(c) What is E[itex]x^{n}[/itex] where n[itex]\geq 0[/itex] is an even integer?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a) I get 1.5
For (b) I get (-3/8)
for (c) I get (9/8)

C is my concern because the expected value for when n is even is greater than one. Is this a problem? My initial thought that it was because x takes on values greater than 1 and have a probability of occurring. I have checked my work and saw nothing wrong. So I just wanted to make sure that my answer to c was impossible before posting my math. It's very simple math and I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Show your work. Your answers to (b) and (c) are wrong.

Using the definition
$$E[x] = ∫^{\infty}_{-\infty} x f_{x}(x)\, dx$$
So in the case of raising to a power
$$E[x^{n}]=∫^{\infty}_{-\infty} x^{n} f_{x}(x)\, dx$$
We are given that
$$f_{x}(x) =
\begin{cases} kx^{2} & \text{for }-1 \leq x \leq 1 \\
0 & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}$$

In part A, I solved for k and got ##k=\frac{3}{2}##.

Now for part B
$$E[x^{n}] = \frac{3}{2} \int^{1}_{-1} x^{n} x^{2}\,dx = \frac{3}{2} \int^{1}_{-1} x^{n+2}\,dx = \frac{3}{2} \left.\frac{x^{n+3}}{n+3}\right|^{1}_{-1} = \frac{3}{2} \left.\frac{x^{n} x^{3}}{n+3}\right|^{1}_{-1} = \frac{3}{2}\left(\frac{1^{n}1^{3}}{n+3}-\frac{(-1)^{n}(-1)^{3}}{n+3}\right) = \frac{3}{2}\left(\frac{1^{n}}{n+3}-\frac{(-1)^{n}(-1)^{3}}{n+3}\right).$$ I think the correct answer is then ##\frac{3}{3+n}## when n even, 0 when n odd.

I think the first time I did this problem I plugged in 1 and -1 for both n and x and is the reason why I got the answers I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the expected value of an even integer?

The expected value of an even integer is calculated by taking the sum of all possible even integers and dividing it by the total number of even integers in the set. For example, the expected value of a set of even integers from 1 to 10 would be (2+4+6+8+10)/5 = 6.

What is the expected value of an odd integer?

The expected value of an odd integer is calculated in the same way as the expected value of an even integer. However, the set of numbers used in the calculation would be odd integers instead of even integers.

How do you calculate the expected value of a set of integers?

The expected value of a set of integers is calculated by taking the sum of all the numbers in the set and dividing it by the total number of integers in the set. This gives an average or expected value for the set.

Can the expected value of a set of integers be a decimal or fraction?

Yes, the expected value of a set of integers can be a decimal or fraction. This can happen when the set of numbers used in the calculation contains non-integer values, such as 1.5 or 3/4.

How is the expected value of a set of integers used in probability?

The expected value of a set of integers is used in probability to predict the average outcome of a random event. This value is important in making decisions and determining the likelihood of certain outcomes.