1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question

1. Jan 25, 2014 #1
    I am given this probability table:

x 0 1 2 3 4
    P(X=x) 0.8 0.1 0.05 0.03 0.02

X is the amount of faulty products produced in a day.

I am being asked to find the probability of a exactly one product being foulty in a 5 day periode.

I am a bit confused. I know from the table that the probability of exactly one faulty product in 1 day is 0.1.
    But for 5 days, is it that ease just to multiply 0.1 by 5? Or is it 0,1^5?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not that simple. One of the days has to have a single faulty product. The other four days have to have no faulty products.

4. Jan 25, 2014 #3
    Ok, thank you for your answer, so then 0.1*(4*0.8)?

5. Jan 25, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the probability of something with probability 0.8 happening on 4 days isn't (4*0.8). That's bigger than 1! This an example of a binomial distribution problem. Don't you have a lesson on that?

6. Jan 25, 2014 #5
    Thanks again for the answer. It turns out there is a scheduling conflict at the uni and we are not supposed to cover that topic until next week, however the assignment is due Monday.
    I managed to solve this though.
    Thanks for your help! :)

7. Jan 25, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good work. I was wondering why you seemed to be missing a lot of the basics to tackle this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted