Probability Question

• Thread starter Calu
  • Start date
Could someone talk me through this question please? I understand some of it, but I'd like some help understanding the rest. Comments are below each line of the answer.

Here's the question:

Evaluate P(X = k+1)/P(X = k) and hence find the most likely value of X when

P(X = k) = r(7.3k/k!) , for all k = 0, 1, 2 ... ; r > 0.

Find the value of r and prove that E[X] = 7.3 (where E[X] is the expected value of X).

Answer:

P(X = k+1)/P(X = k) = r(7.3k+1/(k+1)!) / r(7.3k/k!) = 7.3/(k+1).

--> This line I understand just fine.

∴ P(X = k+1) > P(X = k) ⇔ 7.3/(k+1) > 1 ⇔ k < 6.3

--> What I don't understand here is why we can state that P(X = k+1) > P(X = k) ⇔ 7.3/(k+1).

Hence increasing for k = 0, 1, 2, ... , 6 and P(7) > P(6) and decreasing for k = 7, 8, 9, ...
∴ Most likely value for k is k = 7.

--> I understand the increasing and decreasing parts, but not the P(7) > P(6) or the most likely value of k.

k=o Pk = 1 => r∑k=o (7.3k/k!) = e7.3 = 1 r = e-7.3.

--> This line I understand fine.

From here, I'm struggling to see what's happening:

E[X] = ∑k=o ke-7.3(7.3k/k!) = e-7.3(7.3)∑k=1 7.3k-1/(k-1)!

--> I believe by finding the expected value we are finding the total sum of the weighted means, hence the summation has the form ∑k=o k.f(k). However I don't see how the k multiplying the function of k, f(k), has been removed and how the k=1 appears on the summation and k-1 appears in the function, and how the 7.3 finds itself outside the summation as a constant.

Let j = k+1,

e-7.3(7.3)∑j=0 7.3j/(j)! = e-7.3(7.3)e7.3 = 7.3

--> This last line I understand also.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Could someone talk me through this question please? I understand some of it, but I'd like some help understanding the rest. Comments are below each line of the answer.

Here's the question:

Evaluate P(X = k+1)/P(X = k) and hence find the most likely value of X when

P(X = k) = r(7.3k/k!) , for all k = 0, 1, 2 ... ; r > 0.

Find the value of r and prove that E[X] = 7.3 (where E[X] is the expected value of X).

Answer:

P(X = k+1)/P(X = k) = r(7.3k+1/(k+1)!) / r(7.3k/k!) = 7.3/(k+1).

--> This line I understand just fine.

∴ P(X = k+1) > P(X = k) ⇔ 7.3/(k+1) > 1 ⇔ k < 6.3

--> What I don't understand here is why we can state that P(X = k+1) > P(X = k) ⇔ 7.3/(k+1).

Hence increasing for k = 0, 1, 2, ... , 6 and P(7) > P(6) and decreasing for k = 7, 8, 9, ...
∴ Most likely value for k is k = 7.

--> I understand the increasing and decreasing parts, but not the P(7) > P(6) or the most likely value of k.

Using ##p(k)=P(X=k)## you have shown ##p(k+1)>p(k)## if ##k<6.3##. In particular, with ##k=6## this says ##p(7) > p(6)##. And you know ##p(k+1) < p(k)## if ##k\ge 7##. So wouldn't that make ##p(7)## the largest value of any ##p(k)##?

k=o Pk = 1 => r∑k=o (7.3k/k!) = e7.3 = 1 r = e-7.3.

--> This line I understand fine.

From here, I'm struggling to see what's happening:

E[X] = ∑k=o ke-7.3(7.3k/k!) = e-7.3(7.3)∑k=1 7.3k-1/(k-1)!

--> I believe by finding the expected value we are finding the total sum of the weighted means, hence the summation has the form ∑k=o k.f(k). However I don't see how the k multiplying the function of k, f(k), has been removed and how the k=1 appears on the summation and k-1 appears in the function, and how the 7.3 finds itself outside the summation as a constant.

You have $$\sum_{k=0}^\infty ke^{-7.3}\frac{7.3^k}{k!}$$Notice that the first term when ##{k=0}## is zero so you have$$
E(X) = \sum_{k=1}^\infty ke^{-7.3}\frac{7.3^k}{k!}$$Also, since ##\frac k {k!} = \frac 1 {(k-1)!}##we have$$
E(X) = \sum_{k=1}^\infty e^{-7.3}\frac{7.3^k}{(k-1)!}=
e^{-7.3}(7.3)\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{7.3^{k-1}}{(k-1)!}$$The two constants can be removed from the sum and it is now ready for your next step.

Let j = k+1,

e-7.3(7.3)∑j=0 7.3j/(j)! = e-7.3(7.3)e7.3 = 7.3

--> This last line I understand also.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Ahh, I now understand, thanks!