Probability of Items Dropping Twice in a Row - Question

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of two items in a game dropping twice in a row. The first scenario has a simple probability of 1/100, while the second scenario has a probability of 1/100 multiplied by 1/100 and depends on the first item.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hey guys.

I was playing a game recently and had a question about the probability of two of the items in the game dropping twice in a row. Let's say there are 100 different items in the item pool that you can get from a treasure room, each having an equal probability to be found. Is the probability of having some item in the pool dropping twice in a row the same as having a specific item drop twice in a row? Does my question even make sense?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For the first scenario, it doesn't matter what the first item is. It only matters what the second item is. So I would think that the odds would just be a simple 1/100. The second scenario does care what the first item is so I think that it would be 1/100 * 1/100.

Thanks Borg.

1. What is the probability of an item dropping twice in a row?

The probability of an item dropping twice in a row is dependent on the probability of the item dropping in the first place. For example, if the probability of the item dropping on any given attempt is 50%, then the probability of it dropping twice in a row would be 25% (0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25).

2. Is the probability of an item dropping twice in a row affected by previous attempts?

No, the probability of an item dropping twice in a row is not affected by previous attempts. Each attempt is considered independent and has the same probability of occurring.

3. Can the probability of an item dropping twice in a row be greater than 1?

No, the probability of an item dropping twice in a row cannot be greater than 1. The maximum probability is 1, which represents a 100% chance of the event occurring.

4. How does the number of items affect the probability of an item dropping twice in a row?

The number of items does not directly affect the probability of an item dropping twice in a row. However, if there are more items, the probability of any specific item dropping twice in a row may decrease.

5. Is the probability of an item dropping twice in a row the same for all items?

The probability of an item dropping twice in a row can vary for different items. This is dependent on the individual probability of each item dropping in the first place.