What is the Probability of Event S Happening?

• Thread starter Townsend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, based on the given information, event A (salesman makes a sale) and event B (salesman makes a sale on the second try) are not explicitly stated as being dependent or mutually exclusive. Therefore, it is most reasonable to assume that they are independent. Using the formula P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B), and the given probabilities of P(A) = 0.4 and P(B) = 0.65, we can calculate that the probability of event A or B occurring is 0.95. This means that there is a 95% chance that the salesman will make a sale at some point during his two visits to the house.
Townsend
If event S has a 40 percent chance of happening on the first try and a 65 percent chance of happening on the second try what is the chance of event A happening?

Let A be the event S happens on the first try, note [tex]A^c[/tex] is the complement of A.
Let B be the event S happens on the second try.

I reasoned it to be a 79 percent chance of S happening.

1. A and B are mutually exclusive, in other words if A happens B does not, vise versa.

2. The probability of event B happening depends on event A not happening.

Thus [tex]P(B \cap A^c) = .39[/tex], so P(S) = P(A) + [tex]P(B \cap A^c)[/tex] = .79.

So I reason a 79 percent chance of event S.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Townsend said:
If event S has a 40 percent chance of happening on the first try and a 65 percent chance of happening on the second try what is the chance of event A happening?
You mean of event S happening?
Let A be the event S happens on the first try, note [tex]A^c[/tex] is the complement of A.

1. A and B are mutually exclusive, in other words if A happens B does not, vise versa.
Why do you think they are mutually exclusive? Does the problem say so? Why do you think they are dependent?

The first paragraph asks for the probability that, in two tries, S occurs. That would mean either S occurs on the first try or S occurs on the second try or S occurs on both tries. Think of getting heads on two coin tosses. Either the first toss is heads or the second toss is heads or both tosses are heads. What formula do you use for these "or" situations?

honestrosewater said:
You mean of event S happening?

Yes, sorry.

Why do you think they are mutually exclusive? Does the problem say so?

I didn't state the problem as it was stated in the text to save some typing. The problem is

A salesman has a 40 percent chance of making a sale the first time he visits a house and a 65 percent chance of making a sale the second time he visits that same house and he will only ever visit a house twice. What is the chance he will make a sale?

Based on this I can only reason that he will either make a sale the first day or second day but not both days. So I suppose that makes the two events mutually exclusive.

Townsend said:
I didn't state the problem as it was stated in the text to save some typing. The problem is

A salesman has a 40 percent chance of making a sale the first time he visits a house and a 65 percent chance of making a sale the second time he visits that same house and he will only ever visit a house twice. What is the chance he will make a sale?

Based on this I can only reason that he will either make a sale the first day or second day but not both days. So I suppose that makes the two events mutually exclusive.
Yeah, that's not the greatest. Maybe he's selling different things each time, there could be different people living in the house, etc. Go with whatever you're willing to defend. I would go with the most straightforward- A and B are non-mutually exclusive, independent events. You could also solve it for each scenario. Do you have the formula for P(A or B) (or P(A [itex]\cup[/itex] B))?

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Do you have the formula for P(A or B)?

Not sure... If A is an event and B is an event then the sample points in A or B would just be A union B, right? The problem is figuring out what those sample points are. If you accept that B is dependent on A and A intersect B is null then how do you find P(A or B) if you're only given what P(A) and P(B) are, and P(B) is given with the assumption that A will not happen?

Townsend said:
Not sure... If A is an event and B is an event then the sample points in A or B would just be A union B, right?
Right, P(A or B) is the same as P(A U B). P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A [itex]\cap[/itex] B).
If A and B are mutually exclusive, what is P(A [itex]\cap[/itex] B)?
If A and B are independent, what is P(A [itex]\cap[/itex] B)?
If you accept that B is dependent on A and A intersect B is null then how do you find P(A or B) if you're only given what P(A) and P(B) are, and P(B) is given with the assumption that A will not happen?
So why would you think A and B are dependent (but not mutually exclusive)? In your original post, you said you thought A and B were mutually exclusive. If they are, the probability of A occurring given that B has occurred is what? The probability of B occurring given that A has occurred is what? :wink:

The reason I would go with A and B being independent is that, by default, you don't assume more than the problem tells you. If A and B were mutually exclusive, the problem should have added:
"But if he makes a sale the first try, he doesn't make a sale the second try, and if he makes a sale the second try..." or something similar.
If A and B were dependent, the problem should have added:
"If he makes a sale the first try, then on the second try..."
or something else to tell you how the events depend on each other. It doesn't say anything about the events being dependent or mutually exclusive, and there's nothing inherent in the situation that makes the events dependent or mutually exclusive, so you should just assume the events are independent. You could argue that a salesman wouldn't even try to make a sale on the second try if he made a sale on the first try, but you should be prepared to really make that argument.

Last edited:
Townsend said:

2. The probability of event B happening depends on event A not happening.

Thus [tex]P(B \cap A^c) = .39[/tex], so P(S) = P(A) + [tex]P(B \cap A^c)[/tex] = .79.

So I reason a 79 percent chance of event S.

Thanks

How about this:
Let C be {He won't make the sale}. We're therefore looking for 1-P(C).
Ac= the complement of A.
Then P(C|A)=0, because if he made the sale the first time, he made the sale.
P(C|Ac)=1-P(B), because that is exactly the probability he didn't make the sale the second time.
P(C)=P(C|A)P(A)+P(C|Ac)P(Ac)=0+(1-0.65)*(1-0.4)=0.35*0.6=0.21
So we got P(S)=1-0.21=0.79, which is what you got in the first place.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from experiments or observations.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are those where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. Dependent events are those where the outcome of one event is affected by the outcome of another event.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in a wide range of fields, including statistics, finance, science, and everyday decision making. It can help us make predictions, assess risk, and make informed choices based on the likelihood of certain outcomes.