Probability Question: At Least One of A, B & C Occurring

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
Therefore, p = (3+2p)/2Solving, p = 3/2Hence, the sum of all probabilities is 1.In summary, the probability of at least one of the three events A, B, and C occurring is ## \dfrac{3p+2p^2}{2} ##. This can be found by using a Venn diagram to represent the different probabilities and their relationships, and solving for p. By setting up equations for the different regions of the Venn diagram and using the given information, it can be determined that the sum of all probabilities is 1, leading to the solution that p = 3/2
erisedk

Homework Statement

For the three events A, B and C, P (exactly one of the events A or B occurs) = P (exactly one of the events B or C occurs) = P (exactly one of the events C or A occurs) = p ,
and P (all the three events occur simultaneously) = p2 ,
where 0 < p < ½ .
Then the probability of at least one of the three events A, B and C occurring is:

Ans: ## \dfrac{3p+2p^2}{2} ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://s3.amazonaws.com/minglebox-photo/core-0000-c88370190d4b414d010d4b415d220010.data-0000-fdbffe7622c53ecd0122c5c50d0b0334.gif
NOTE: The regions shown do not overlap with each other, i.e. P(A) ≠ region 1, instead P(A) = region ( 1 + 2 + 4 + 5).
By symmetry, I assume region 1 = 3 = 7 = p/2
Region 5 = p2
Again by symmetry, region 2 = 4 = 6 = x.
I need to find x because the probability that I got to calculate is the sum of all the regions, ie.
## \dfrac{3p}{2} + 3x + p^2 ##
I don't know how. I initially though that the sum of all probabilities might be 1, but then it doesn't say that this is the case. For all we know, there might be 10 more events. So, I dismissed that option. I don't know how to proceed from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just write down the equations you know in terms of the areas 1-7? You don't have to assume symmetry.

How does that help?
Here:
1 + 3 = 3 + 7 = 7 + 1 = p
5 = p2
I still don't know 2, 4, 6
Also, from the answer, I just noticed that 2, 4 and 6 must be 0. Which is very surprising.

erisedk said:
How does that help?
Here:
1 + 3 = 3 + 7 = 7 + 1 = p
5 = p2
I still don't know 2, 4, 6
Also, from the answer, I just noticed that 2, 4 and 6 must be 0. Which is very surprising.

Those equations are not right. Look more carefully at your diagram. What areas represent "exactly one of A or B"?

Likes erisedk
Got it. 1 + 4 + 3 + 6 represents exactly one of A and B. Thank you so much :)

erisedk said:

Homework Statement

For the three events A, B and C, P (exactly one of the events A or B occurs) = P (exactly one of the events B or C occurs) = P (exactly one of the events C or A occurs) = p ,
and P (all the three events occur simultaneously) = p2 ,
where 0 < p < ½ .
Then the probability of at least one of the three events A, B and C occurring is:

Ans: ## \dfrac{3p+2p^2}{2} ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://s3.amazonaws.com/minglebox-photo/core-0000-c88370190d4b414d010d4b415d220010.data-0000-fdbffe7622c53ecd0122c5c50d0b0334.gif
NOTE: The regions shown do not overlap with each other, i.e. P(A) ≠ region 1, instead P(A) = region ( 1 + 2 + 4 + 5).
By symmetry, I assume region 1 = 3 = 7 = p/2
Region 5 = p2
Again by symmetry, region 2 = 4 = 6 = x.
I need to find x because the probability that I got to calculate is the sum of all the regions, ie.
## \dfrac{3p}{2} + 3x + p^2 ##
I don't know how. I initially though that the sum of all probabilities might be 1, but then it doesn't say that this is the case. For all we know, there might be 10 more events. So, I dismissed that option. I don't know how to proceed from here.
how did you come up with that Venn's diagram? is it given or you came up with it?. If it's given, then just write down the equation of probability of the union of events.

Oh no, it wasn't given. I got the answer now.

erisedk said:
Got it. 1 + 4 + 3 + 6 represents exactly one of A and B. Thank you so much :)
My intuition tells me that you have to use negation to find AnB which corresponds to the areas 2 and 5. I don't know if that's correct

m

erisedk said:
Oh no, it wasn't given. I got the answer now.
Ummm I would be glad to know the way you came up with the answer because I don't know XD.

Oh sure!
1 + 4 + 3 + 6 = p
2 + 3 + 4 + 7 = p
1 + 2 + 7 + 6 = p
Adding them,
2 ( 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 6 + 7 ) = 3p
(1+2+3+4+6+7) = 3p/2
5 = p2
Hence, 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 3p/2 + p2

1) What is the concept of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is usually expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2) What does "at least one" mean in probability?

In probability, "at least one" means that the event in question can occur one or more times. It is the opposite of "none" or "zero occurrences."

3) How do you calculate the probability of at least one of A, B, and C occurring?

The probability of at least one of A, B, and C occurring is equal to 1 minus the probability of none of them occurring. So, P(at least one of A, B, and C) = 1 - P(none of A, B, and C).

4) Can the probability of at least one of A, B, and C occurring be greater than 1?

No, the probability of an event cannot be greater than 1. This would mean that the event is certain to occur, which is not possible in probability.

5) How does the addition rule apply to the probability of at least one of A, B, and C occurring?

The addition rule states that for two events A and B, the probability of either A or B occurring is the sum of their individual probabilities minus the probability of both A and B occurring. This can be extended to more than two events, so the probability of at least one of A, B, and C occurring is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities minus the sum of the probabilities of all possible combinations of two events occurring together.