Math: Probability of Accessing CNN News from 2 Sites w/80% Reliability

• B
  • Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: If you have one site, the probability of getting a feed is ##p##.If you have two sites and both give a feed, the probability is ##p \cdot p##.If you have two sites and want to get a feed, the probability is ##p+p-p^2##. You get the probability of getting a feed via:P(\text{feed}) = P(\text{both}) + P(\text{at least one}) (The "at least one" is needed since the events are not disjoint.)P(\text{at least one}) = 1 - P(\text{none})P(\text{none}) = P(\text{no feed from 1}) \cdot P(\text{
DiracPool
How do I express the following scenario mathematically?

I have access to CNN news online from two different internet sites, each of which have about an 80% reliability of actually providing the feed when I log onto the site. If I only had access to one of the sites, I'd know that I had an 80% chance that I'd get a live feed when I logged in. How does this figure change when I have two sites, both with that 80% reliability.

The temptation is to multiply the two probabilities together, i.e., .8 * .8 = .64 But that can't be right because the probability has to be greater than .8

Can someone set this scenario up for me mathematically?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you multiply them, you're asking for the probability of getting a news feed from one site and then the other.
I think I'm missing some detail, though. So you have to choose a site, and then log in? Or what? Do both sites pop up when you log onto whatever you're logging into?

If that's the case, you're looking for the probability of A and/or B = A or B + A and B. At least I would think so. You only care that you get at least one, but it's also a possibility that you get two, so you need the probability of getting 1 + the probability of getting 2.

Ok, so this is what I'm thinking, I get a value of 96% when I do this.
##A## is getting the feed from A ##A'## is not getting the feed from A.

##P = AB' + A'B + AB##

Let [itex]A[/itex] be the outcome "The first site works". Let [itex]B[/itex] be the outcome "The second site works". Then there are 4 possible joint outcomes: [itex]A \wedge B, A \wedge \neg B, \neg A \wedge B, \neg A \wedge \neg B[/itex] (where [itex]\neg[/itex] means "not", and [itex]\wedge[/itex] means "and"). So the probability that at least one of the sites works is:

[itex]P(A \vee B) = P(A \wedge B) + P(A \wedge \neg B) + P(\neg A \wedge B)[/itex]

where [itex]\vee[/itex] means "or".

So do you know how to compute those three probabilities on the right side of the equals?

stevendaryl said:
So do you know how to compute those three probabilities on the right side of the equals?

No I don't. But for some reason I thought intuitively the answer was what Bigyellowhat stated, 96%

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Ok, so this is what I'm thinking, I get a value of 96% when I do this.

I don't know where I came up with that figure, and when I tried to think about how the probability would be characterized mathematically, I drew a blank. This is especially disturbing since I just took the GRE last Summer and had these type of probability questions drilled into my head. I've already forgotten how to do them :oldconfused:

What's the probability of A but not B?

As for where I got that number, it's the same as what Steven Darryl is doing.

Likes DiracPool
DiracPool said:
No I don't. But for some reason I thought intuitively the answer was what Bigyellowhat stated, 96%

You have to use some laws of probability:
[itex]P(\neg X) = 1 - P(X)[/itex]
[itex]P(X \wedge Y) = P(X) \cdot P(Y)[/itex] (if the probabilities are independent)

Likes DiracPool
stevendaryl said:
Add them up to get whatever you get.

That looks like it adds up to .96! If there's one thing I still know how to do, it's add decimals o0)

.64 + .16 + .16 =.96 Am I right? I think the probabilities are independent. If you have cable or satellite, you pretty much have a 100% reliability that you will get a CNN feed. But the two sites I get my CNN news feed from have essentially an 80% reliability independent of one another. I was just wondering how much closer to 100% my reliability was by having the two options.

These answers seem somewhat over-complicated. Assuming the probabilities of NOT getting a feed from one site are independently 1 - 0.8 = 0.2, the probability of not getting a feed from both sites is 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.04. So the probability of this not happening (i.e. getting a feed from at least one site) is 1 - 0.04 = 0.96.

[edit - added this]And if you have three sites available, the probability of not getting a feed from any is 1 - 0.23 = 99.2%.

Likes DiracPool and BiGyElLoWhAt
DiracPool said:
That looks like it adds up to .96! If there's one thing I still know how to do, it's add decimals o0)

.64 + .16 + .16 =.96 Am I right? I think the probabilities are independent. If you have cable or satellite, you pretty much have a 100% reliability that you will get a CNN feed. But the two sites I get my CNN news feed from have essentially an 80% reliability independent of one another. I was just wondering how much closer to 100% my reliability was by having the two options.
Yes, it's 96% if the two are independent. The simplest calculation is how often you have neither. That's 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.04.

0.8 x 0.8 = 0.64 is the probability you have both.

And 0.8 x 0.2 = 0.16 is the probability you have the first but not the second. Similarly it's the same probability you have the second but not the first. Hence:

64% both feeds available
32% only one feed available
4% neither feed available

Likes DiracPool
MrAnchovy said:
These answers seem somewhat over-complicated. Assuming the probabilities of NOT getting a feed from one site are independently 1 - 0.8 = 0.2, the probability of not getting a feed from both sites is 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.04. So the probability of this not happening (i.e. getting a feed from at least one site) is 1 - 0.04 = 0.96.
I suppose I overlooked that, no? lol

PeroK said:
64% both feeds available
32% only one feed available
4% neither feed available

I like how you broke that down PeroK, thanks.

This is studied in reliability analysis. Basically, you have some subdevices (here: the two sites) which are operational which probability ##p##. What is asked here is what is the probability that the entire device is operational.

If the devices are connected in series, then the probability is ##p^n## where ##n## is the number of devices.
If the devices are connected in parallel, then the probability is ##1 - (1- p)^n##.
You can generalize this to ##k## out of ##n## systems where the device works if ##k## out of ##n## subdevices work. This requires the binomial distribution. Of course, you can go even more complicated than this.

1. What is the probability of accessing CNN news from 2 sites with 80% reliability?

The probability of accessing CNN news from 2 sites with 80% reliability would be 64%. This means that there is a 64% chance that you will be able to access CNN news from either of the two sites with 80% reliability.

2. How is the probability calculated?

The probability is calculated by multiplying the individual reliability percentages of the two sites together. In this case, it would be 0.8 x 0.8 = 0.64 or 64%.

3. What does the reliability percentage of a site mean?

The reliability percentage of a site refers to the likelihood that the site will be accessible when trying to access CNN news. In this case, a site with 80% reliability means that there is an 80% chance the site will be accessible when trying to access CNN news.

4. How does the number of sites affect the overall probability?

The more sites that are included, the lower the overall probability becomes. For example, if there were 3 sites with 80% reliability, the overall probability would be 51.2% (0.8 x 0.8 x 0.8 = 0.512).

5. Is this probability accurate?

The probability is based on the given information and calculations, so it is accurate within that context. However, it may not accurately reflect real-life situations as there are many factors that can affect the reliability of a site, such as technical issues or internet connectivity.