Probability: 2 People Have Bags of 60 Marbles

In summary, the probability that two people's marbles match at least one number is 1 - [[(40!*40!)/(20!*60!)]], or about 99.99%.
dnt
two people have bags of 60 marbles, each numbered 1 though 60.

each pulls 20 marbles...what is the probability that they match at least one number.

the way i did was figure out what are the chances they match none and subtract that from 1:

1 - [(40/60)(39/59)(38/58)...(22/42)(21/41)]

is that correct?

now what if it was match at least 10 numbers...i can't figure that out.

Physics news on Phys.org
dnt said:
two people have bags of 60 marbles, each numbered 1 though 60.
each pulls 20 marbles...what is the probability that they match at least one number.
the way i did was figure out what are the chances they match none and subtract that from 1:
1 - [(40/60)(39/59)(38/58)...(22/42)(21/41)]
is that correct?
now what if it was match at least 10 numbers...i can't figure that out.
Your logic is correct.

Prob{at least 10 matches} = 1 - Prob{exactly 0 matches or exactly 1 match or ... or exactly 9 matches}

is my math correct for the first question?

I am guessing, yes.

dnt said:
is my math correct for the first question?
Go ahead and write out your math (express in words) for my benefit if you don't mind. Or just derive that expression from some kind of principle.

EnumaElish said:
Go ahead and write out your math (express in words) for my benefit if you don't mind. Or just derive that expression from some kind of principle.

well i think it should be 1 - [(40/60)(39/59)(38/58)...(22/42)(21/41)]

which turns out to be 1 - [(40!/20!)/(60!/40!)] = 1 - [[(40!*40!)/(20!*60!)]

which is like >99.99%.

is that right?

I have drawn 20 marbles. I label them A through T.

"A" has a number on it. What is the prob. that that number is not one of your 20? I think it is 40/60, that's your 1st term. I move on to B. What is the prob. that the number on B is not one of your 20? Why isn't this also 40/60?

I am slow to wrap my brain around this kind of problem so I try to be systematic.

oh because the marbles are not being replaced.

Okay. Joe is holding 20 marbles in his hand. The prob. that my 1st marble isn't one of them is 40/60.

Move on to my next marble. Joe still has 20 marbles in his hand. What is the prob. that my 2nd marble isn't one of Joe's 20?

Why isn't the answer the same?

EnumaElish said:
Okay. Joe is holding 20 marbles in his hand. The prob. that my 1st marble isn't one of them is 40/60.

Move on to my next marble. Joe still has 20 marbles in his hand. What is the prob. that my 2nd marble isn't one of Joe's 20?

Why isn't the answer the same?

well damn...now I am confused.

so you think it should be 1 - [(40/60)^20]? maybe that's it.

1. How many total marbles are there between the two bags?

The total number of marbles between the two bags is 120. Each bag contains 60 marbles.

2. What is the probability that both bags have the same number of marbles?

The probability of both bags having the same number of marbles is 50%. This is because there are only two possible outcomes: either both bags have the same number of marbles or they don't, making it a 50/50 chance.

3. If one bag has 40 marbles, what is the probability that the other bag has 50 marbles?

The probability that the other bag has 50 marbles is 0%. This is because the two bags must have a total of 120 marbles, and if one bag already has 40 marbles, there are not enough marbles left for the other bag to have 50.

4. What is the probability that the two bags have a combined total of more than 100 marbles?

The probability of the two bags having a combined total of more than 100 marbles is approximately 83.3%. This is because there are 20 possible outcomes (from 61 to 120) that meet this condition out of a total of 24 possible outcomes (from 1 to 120), making it an 83.3% chance.

5. Is it possible for one bag to have more marbles than the other?

Yes, it is possible for one bag to have more marbles than the other. As long as the total number of marbles between the two bags is 120, the distribution of marbles between the two bags can vary. For example, one bag can have 70 marbles while the other has 50 marbles, as long as the total remains 120.