Calculating Probability for Multiple Buckets: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter flying2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the probability of each bucket containing at least one ball, based on the number of buckets and balls and a given function. The probability is determined by a binomial distribution, and it is clarified that the bucket ranges do not overlap. The conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful advice.
flying2000
How to calculate the probability of this questions?

Supposed there are m bukcets, n balls. use function f(x) to decide which bucket the ball go. Supposed that the probability a ball going to 0-j is 0.9 and going to j -> m-1 is 0.1. What's the probability of for every bucket there is at least one ball?

I really get stuck.

Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand what you mean by "a ball going to 0-j" or "going to j -> m-1 ". I presume that you have the buckets labeled 1 to m by "m-1" you mean the bucket labeled that way- but what is j?

HallsofIvy said:
I do not understand what you mean by "a ball going to 0-j" or "going to j -> m-1 ". I presume that you have the buckets labeled 1 to m by "m-1" you mean the bucket labeled that way- but what is j?

Yes, the buckets are labeled from 0 to m-1,
the probaiblity that a ball going to buckets(from 0 to j-1) is 0.9, and going to j-1 to m-1 bucket is 0.1. and inside [0, j-1] and [j-1, m-1] is equally. j is only a number. for example if m=4, j=2 and p(a ball go to bucket 0,1) = 0.9 and p(go to bucket 2,3)=0.1

HINT: Calculate the probability that a bucket contains no balls - it is a binomial distribution.

Also, are you sure the two bucket ranges overlap??

Tide said:
HINT: Calculate the probability that a bucket contains no balls - it is a binomial distribution.
Also, are you sure the two bucket ranges overlap??

Thanks a lot. Yes I made a mistake here, the latter should be j -> m-1.
Your advice is really helpful..

1. What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates that the event is impossible and 1 indicates that the event is certain to occur.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the probability formula: P(A) = desired outcomes / total outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from experiments or observations and may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

4. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting weather patterns, making financial decisions, and assessing risks. It is also used in fields like statistics, economics, and engineering to make informed decisions based on data.

5. Is probability always accurate?

No, probability is not always accurate. It is based on assumptions and can be affected by factors such as chance, bias, or incomplete data. However, with enough data and proper analysis, probability can provide reliable predictions and insights.