1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability quiz

1. Apr 18, 2013 #1
    In the expansion of ((x1 + x2 +.... + x33) ^ 4) how many monomials are of the form (xi ^ 2)*(xj^2)
    with i not equal with j

if we add the coefficients of all these mononymon what is the sum?

E.g. the expansion of (x1 + x2 + x3) ^ 4 the requested number is 18

this is a probability quiz but i can think how to solve it with theory of probabilities any ideas for howmto beggin to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is nothing probabilistic here, but combinatorics is important.
    Have a closer look at your example - you should see some pattern about the coefficients. Find that pattern, and extend it to 33.

4. Apr 18, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think so. I believe 6x12x22 constitutes one monomial.

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I think it comes down to counting the number of ways of selecting a pair from {1,2,....,33}. For each

pair (xi[/SUBi,xj)) ,there will be one term xi[/SUP]2[/SUP]*xj2 . The general binomial coefficient ci in

ci x1y1x2y2x3y3 x4y4 counts

precisely the number of ways of selecting a total of y_1 x_1's, y_2 x_2's, etc. in the product.

Then ,for

xi2xj2, you're counting the number of ways of selecting exactly 2 x_i's and 2 x_j's from the expansion :

(x1+x2+x3+x4)...... ( 4 times )

How many ways can you choose a pair (xi,xj) from

(x1,x2, x3,...,x33)?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted