Probability Spaces: Showing G is Field and not Sigma Field

• Thread starter elliotician
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the homework statement is that a field is a collection of subsets of a set which satisfies certain conditions. G is a field if 1) each element of the set is in the field, and 2) the collection is a sigma field if it includes every possible union of any two intervals.
elliotician

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\Omega = [0,1)[/tex]

Let G be the collection of all subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex] of the form
[a1,b1),[tex]\cup[/tex][a2,b2),[tex]\cup[/tex]...[tex]\cup[/tex][ar,br)
For r any non-negative integer and 0<=a1
and a1 <=b1 <= a2 ...

Show that G is a field

Show that G is not a [tex]\sigma[/tex]-field

Homework Equations

Definition:
Let [tex]\Omega[/tex] be any set. A collection F of subsets of [tex]\Omega[/tex]
is a field if:

1. [tex]\emptyset[/tex][tex]\in[/tex]F
2. given A in F, then Ac=[tex]\Omega[/tex]\A
3. given A and B in F, A[tex]\cup[/tex]B is in F

In addition, the collection F is a [tex]\sigma[/tex]-field if

given A1, A2, A3... are all in F, so is there union

[tex]\bigcup[/tex]Ai

The Attempt at a Solution

To show G is a field:

Assume empty set is not in G, then there must be an element in empty which is not in the G - a contradiction since there are no elements in the empty set.

If we have A in G then A=[ai,bi)
So Ac= [tex]\Omega[/tex]/A

3. This is where I have the problem,
Set A in G as [ai,bi)
And B in G as [aj,bj)
So we want to show A U B in G
But if bi= aj
Then we will have A U B =[ai,bj)
Which is not in G

To show G is not a sigma field:
(0,1)= the union of intervals [1/n,1)
[1/n,1) is in G for all n
(0,1) is not in G
So G is not a sigma field.

So essentially the problem is with part 3 of the definition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you say "If we have A in G then A=[ai,bi)"? Isn't each element of G a union of r intervals? What would A look like when r > 1? Same comment applies to both part 2 and part 3 of your answer.

EnumaElish said:
Can you say "If we have A in G then A=[ai,bi)"? Isn't each element of G a union of r intervals? What would A look like when r > 1? Same comment applies to both part 2 and part 3 of your answer.

Thanks yes! OK so we say

A=[ai,bi)U[a(i+1),b(i+1)U...U[ar,br)

Ac = omega/A

Then 3 is now easy

A=[ai,bi)U[a(i+1),b(i+1)U...U[ar,br)
B=[aj,bj)U[a(j+1),b(j+1)U...U[as,bs)

so AUB = [ai,bi)U[a(i+1),b(i+1)U...U[ar,br)U[aj,bj)U[a(j+1),b(j+1)U...U[as,bs)

AUB=[ak,bk)U[a(k+1),b(k+1)U...U[at,bt)
where k=min{i,j} and t=max{r,s}

What is the difference between 3 and the sigma-field property?

For 3 we need the union of any two intervals to be in G
For the sigma field property we want all possible unions of all possible intervals to be in GPoint 3 basically requires [0,x) be in G for x<=1, which we do have.
In order for that sigma to hold we would need the interval (0,1) to be in the collection G.

Though I'm still not sure i fully understand the difference :S

OK well I am working with Probability and random processes By Geoffrey Grimmett, David Stirzaker, the google books preview covers the section i am dealing with (1.1 and 1.2 right at the start). This uses the definitions given in the exercise.

http://books.google.com/books?id=G3...rontcover&dq=probability+and+random+processes

In the link you have given i can't distinguish any definition of a field or sigma field, or any treatment of an infinite omega.

Last edited:

1. What is a probability space?

A probability space is a mathematical construct used in probability theory to describe a random experiment. It consists of a sample space, which is the set of all possible outcomes, and a probability measure, which assigns a probability to each event in the sample space.

2. What is the difference between a field and a sigma field?

A field is a collection of subsets of a sample space that satisfies certain properties, such as closure under complements and finite unions. A sigma field, also known as a sigma-algebra, is a more general collection that includes countable unions and intersections. In other words, a sigma field is a superset of a field.

3. How can you show that G is a field?

To show that G is a field, we need to demonstrate that it satisfies the properties of a field. This includes showing that G is closed under complements, finite unions, and finite intersections. We can also show that G contains the empty set and the entire sample space, as these are required by definition to be part of a field.

4. What is an example of a field that is not a sigma field?

One example of a field that is not a sigma field is the collection of all finite subsets of a sample space. This collection satisfies the properties of a field, but it does not include countable unions and intersections, which are required for a sigma field.

5. Why is it important to distinguish between a field and a sigma field?

It is important to distinguish between a field and a sigma field because they have different levels of generality and therefore different applications. Sigma fields are more general and can be used to define more complex probability spaces, while fields are often used in simpler situations. Additionally, certain theorems and properties in probability theory only apply to sigma fields and not fields.