1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability (Statistics)

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The security passes for a certain company are coloured yellow or white, they're provided with either a clip or a chain. The probability that a pass has a clip is 6/10, 2/3 of the white passes and 4/7 of the yellow ones are fitted with clips. A member of the company is stopped on his way into work find the probability that;

The pass is yellow
    The pass is yellow with a chain

If two people are stopped randomly as they enter find the probability that one pass will be yellow and the other white, and one will have a clip and the other a chain.
    2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

Really frustrating question, is this question possible? :/ This is what i've tried, but it's wrong according to the book;

(3/7 * 4/10) + (4/7 * 6/10) = 0.514 (I know this is wrong but I was trying anything)

I just don't see how this is possible because surely it's dependant on the actual number that are white and yellow? Surely if there's 1000 white, and 5 yellow, the probability of a yellow is much different than with different numbers there, and they tell you no-where what to assume...

Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2
    Got it, sorry, i always post too early.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook