Probability Store Problem

• Thread starter ruby_duby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of a customer in a teashop taking sugar, milk, or both is 0.525. This is calculated by taking the sum of (0.7 x 3/5) + (0.2 x 1/4) + (0.1 x 11/20), as each of these represents the probability of a customer taking both sugar and milk, only sugar, or only milk, respectively.
ruby_duby
Hi i need help on the following question:

In a teashop 70% of customers order tea with milk, 20% tea with lemon and 10% with neither. of those taking tea with milk 3/5 take sugar, of those taking tea with lemon 1/4 take sugar, and of those taking tea with neither milk or lemon 11/20 take sugar. a customer is then chosem at random.

i need to find the probability that the customers take suggar or milk or both. i know that the answer is o.525 but i don't know how.

can anybody help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ruby_duby said:
i need to find the probability that the customers take suggar or milk or both. [/COLOR]

Hint: the word 'or' is interpreted as the operation '+' while calculating probabilities.

yes i understand that
but does that mean that i do

(0.7x3/5) + 0.7 + 3/5 + 1/4 + 11/20
if this is the case then it doesn't equal 0.525

ruby_duby said:
yes i understand that
but does that mean that i do

(0.7x3/5) + 0.7 + 3/5 + 1/4 + 11/20
if this is the case then it doesn't equal 0.525

Not only it doesn't equal 0.525 , but it is greater than 1, which cannot be. Just to make sure, the question is: 'Calculate the probability that the person chosen takes (sugar OR milk) OR (sugar AND milk)'? The case (sugar OR milk) would not make sence, because every one is taking sugar.

i can't really make sense of the question either, but i think it means (sugar and milk) or (sugar or milk)

What is the "Probability Store Problem"?

The Probability Store Problem is a hypothetical scenario in which a store sells 10 different items, each with a different probability of being defective. The goal is to determine the probability that a customer will purchase a defective item from the store.

What are the 10 items sold in the "Probability Store Problem"?

The 10 items are: a toaster (5% chance of being defective), a television (8% chance), a phone (10% chance), a laptop (12% chance), a coffee maker (15% chance), a blender (20% chance), a vacuum cleaner (25% chance), a microwave (30% chance), a fan (35% chance), and a hairdryer (40% chance).

How do you calculate the probability of purchasing a defective item from the "Probability Store Problem"?

To calculate the probability of purchasing a defective item, you would multiply the probability of each item being defective by its respective weight. Then, you would add all of these values together to get the overall probability. For example, if you wanted to know the probability of purchasing a defective item from the store, you would multiply 5% by 1 (toaster), 8% by 2 (television), 10% by 3 (phone), and so on. Then, you would add all of these values together to get the overall probability.

What is the significance of the "Probability Store Problem"?

The "Probability Store Problem" is significant because it demonstrates the concept of weighted probability. In real life, we often encounter situations where certain outcomes are more likely than others, and this problem helps us understand how to calculate the overall probability in these scenarios.

What are some real-life applications of the "Probability Store Problem"?

The "Probability Store Problem" can be applied to various real-life situations, such as predicting the chances of winning a game of chance, estimating the likelihood of an event occurring, or determining the probability of a product being defective based on manufacturing data. It can also be used in fields such as finance and economics to analyze risks and make informed decisions.