Probability Theory: Is A Certainty with C & T?

In summary, Andrew contacted Professor Steven Hawkins about a meteor or comet striking Earth. It depends on how improbable the event is. If the probability of A occurring in a given year is 1 in a million, this does not mean that the probability of it occurring in a million years is 1. But in a trillion years, the probability of it not occurring is practically 0. If Professor Hawkins can say the probability of the Earth being hit by an extraterrestrial object is "one" over time, then I feel my "number of randomly different combinations" is far higher than the number of extraterrestrial objects in the space of the solar system, and if anything, the occurance of the right combination of materials should be at least "one" given a
dcroose

Homework Statement

A - something that is a known possibility
C - correct conditions conducive to produce A
T - many trillion years in which C continues

Homework Equations

Is it true that with the above factors the probability of "A" is "1", or very close to 1?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I believe Professor Steven Hawkins said about a meteor or comet striking Earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how improbable the event is. If the probability of A occurring in a given year is 1 in a million, this does not mean that the probability of it occurring in a million years is 1. But in a trillion years, the probability of it not occurring is practically 0.

AM

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for the quick reply. I have tried to find an answer to my question on several math forums but you are the first one to respond.

The specific conditions of my case is the random mixing of all 92 elements and 26 amino acids In order to produce an exact sequence of the exact amount of elements and amino acids to produce a single primitive living cell capable of reproduction. A single cubic microleter of water in an ocean or lake or stream makes a perfect test tube for such random mixing of elements and amino acids. Moreover each microleter of water on the planet is continually changing its make up, thereby trying new mixtures. How many microleters of water do you think there are on planet Earth, and how many differnt combinations would be produced every hour? Now multiply that number of possible random combinations times the trillions of planets that exist in the universe and you have a very high number of randomly different combinations.

If Steven Hawkins can say the probabily of the Earth being hit bt an exterestial object is "one" over time. Then I feel my "number of randomly different combinations" is far higher than the number of extraterrestrial objects in the space of the solar syatem, and if anything, the occurance of the right combination of materials shoud be at least "one" given a time span of the trillions of years the universe will last.

Is there any way I can prove this?

I will look forward to a reply. You may email me if you like.

Take Care & thanks again.

The single most important criteria for all human decisions is ...
"Is it good for Earth's children?"

Dick Roose
http://realityfound.org
dcroose@comcast.net

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random events and their likelihood of occurring. It provides a framework for understanding uncertainty and making predictions based on observed data.

2. What are the main concepts of probability theory?

The main concepts of probability theory include sample space, events, probability, and random variables. Sample space refers to the set of all possible outcomes of an experiment, while events are subsets of the sample space. Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, and random variables are variables that take on different values based on the outcome of a random event.

3. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of outcomes in the sample space. This is known as the classical probability formula and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. In other cases, probability can be calculated using other methods such as empirical, subjective, and conditional probability.

4. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations. Theoretical probability is often used to make predictions, while experimental probability is used to validate or test those predictions.

5. How is probability theory used in real life?

Probability theory has numerous applications in various fields, including statistics, economics, finance, engineering, and science. It is used to make predictions and decisions based on uncertain events, such as weather forecasting, stock market analysis, and risk assessment. It is also used in everyday situations, such as playing games of chance, making insurance policies, and conducting scientific experiments.