1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Theory

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    A Question Reads: "Suppose that the random Variable X is the number of failures before the first success in a series of independent Bernoulli trials with success probability p"

a) derive the probability mass function of X
    b) what is the probability that X < x where x is a positive integer?

My Answers:

a) this is fairly straight forward. Its just a geometric sequence. p(x) = p(1-p)^x x = 0,1,2....

b) I AM STUCK ON THIS. I know that X < x is just the cumulative distribution function for this geometric sequence, but that just does not work well with this. I tried something different:

"the number of failures untill the first sucess? P(X<x) for a geometric sequnce? that means x-1 failures in n trials? (or we could think of it as x-1 sucess in n trials if we look at a failure as a success.)
    then would it be X~binomial(n,p)"

Or perhaps it means P(X=0) + P (X=1) + P(X=2) + P(X=3).... + P(X=x-1) for a geometric sequence?

Can somebody help me on it please? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2
    I just found out now that my a) is wrong :( my prof said its not geometric, but is close to it.... anybody have any ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?