1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability unions

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    Have a problem that I've worked through, would appreciate any feedback on it to tell if I'm doing it correctly:

Say the probability of success is .95. Two different actors, acting independently:
    1. Probability that both actors are successful: I had P(A intersect B) = P(A) * P(B) = (.95)*(.95) = .9025

2. Probability that neither actor is successful? Was a little confused on this one, but I thought it would be P(A U B)'. In (3), I'd calculated the P(A U B) to be .9975, so 1-.9975 = .0025

3. Probability that either actor is successful? I used P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A intersect B) = .9975

thank you much.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2
    Looks pretty good to me!

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Looks ok!!

May I suggest another method for (2)?? The chance that an auther is not succesful is 0.05. so the chance that neither author iss succesful is 0.05*0.05 by independence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook