Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B?

In summary: Sorry.In summary, there are three dice in this game, A, B, and C, with different numbers on their faces. Player 1 gets to choose from all three dice, while Player 2 can only choose from the remaining two. It is always advantageous to be Player 2 in this game, as they can always choose a die that will win over 1/2 the time, regardless of which die Player 1 chooses. This is known as the "non-transitive dice" problem.
mmg0789
Die A has four 9's and two 0's on its faces. Die B has four 3's and two 11's on its faces. when either of these dice is rolled, each face has an equal chance of landng on top. two players are going to play a game. the first player selects a die and rolls it. the second player rolls the remaining die. the winner is the player whose die has the higher number on top.

A) suppose you are the first player and you want to win the game. which die would you select and why

B) Suppose the player using die A receives 45 tokens each time he or she wins the game. how many tokens must the player using die B receive each time he or she wins in order for this to be a fair game?

i really don't know how to start this. for a, i would think that, logically, die B would be better to choose but i don't know how to prove that statistically (even if it's right in the first place)

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that you choose A. These are the probabilities of the different ways this can turn out, and the results:

P(you 9, opponent 3)=2/3*2/3=4/9 . . . You win.
P(you 9, opponent 11)=2/3*1/3=2/9 . . . You lose.
P(you 0, opponent 3)=2/3*2/3=4/9 . . . You lose.
P(you 0, opponent 11)=1/3*1/3=1/9 . . . You lose.

You win 4/9 times and lose 5/9.

Now suppose instead that you choose B, do the same calculation and compare the results.

thanks, i got it

i still don't get it :(

Ok, first, spamming asking for help isn't going to get it any quicker... I was originally going to post in your other thread before realizing that you just copied this one, got annoyed and didn't post.

Second, the concept is that since the dice rolls are independent, P(Die A=x, Die B=y) = P(A=x)*P(B=y). Then you just slug through the combinations

sorry bout that

Ok how about this one with three dice.

Dice "A" has one face marked "6" and the other five faces marked "3".

Dice "B" has one face marked "1" and the other five faces marked "4".

Dice "C" has three faces marked "2" and the other three faces marked "5".

Same game play as before except player_1 gets to select his choice from the three dice while player_2 only gets to select from the remaining two. Explain why it's always advantagous to be player_2 in this game.

Last edited:
If player 1 picks die A, then player 2 can pick die B, and by the same logic as above, win quite often. Try finding dice that will always beat die B and die C, and prove it using the same argument. Then no matter which die player 1 picks, player 2 can pick one that will win over 1/2 the time

ohhh i get it...thanks soo much guys :)

Office_Shredder said:
If player 1 picks die A, then player 2 can pick die B, and by the same logic as above, win quite often. Try finding dice that will always beat die B and die C, and prove it using the same argument. Then no matter which die player 1 picks, player 2 can pick one that will win over 1/2 the time

Yep it's a classic example of the "non-transistive dice" problem.

- Dice_B wins over dice_A by a ratio 25:36.
- Dice_C wins over dice_B by a ratio 7:12.
- Dice_A wins over dice_C by a ratio 7:12.

It's a neat example of something that's non-transitive.

Yep it's a classic example of the "non-transistive dice" problem.

- Dice_B wins over dice_A by a ratio 25:36.
- Dice_C wins over dice_B by a ratio 7:12.
- Dice_A wins over dice_C by a ratio 7:12.

It's a neat example of something that's non-transitive.

Oh, I thought you were asking for help with that problem. I should have left it for someone else to do

1. What is a "Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B"?

"Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B" is a game of chance where two dice, labeled Die A and Die B, are rolled and the player must choose which die will roll a higher number. The player wins if their chosen die's number is higher than the other die's number.

2. How do I play "Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B"?

To play "Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B", you simply need to roll two dice and choose which one you think will have the higher number. If your chosen die's number is higher than the other die's number, you win.

3. What are the odds of winning in "Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B"?

The odds of winning in "Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B" are 1 in 2, or 50%. This is because there are only two possible outcomes: either Die A has a higher number or Die B has a higher number.

4. Can I increase my chances of winning in "Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B"?

No, the game is purely based on chance and there is no way to increase your chances of winning. Each roll of the dice is independent and the outcome is completely random.

5. Is "Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B" a fair game?

Yes, "Win Dice Game: Die A or Die B" is a fair game as the probability of winning is equal for both dice. The game does not favor one die over the other, making it a fair game of chance.