1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probablility equations

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ten question multiple choice exam is given, and each question has 5 possible answers. Pascal Gonyo takes this exam and guesses at every question. Find the probability that he will get at least 9 questions correct. Without using the binomial probability formula, determine the probability that he gets exactly two questions correct.

2. Relevant equations
    P(at least 9) + P(less than 9) = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

P = 1-P(8)
    I'm stuck on this. I found the probability of at least one question correct using this formula but I can't get it to work for 9.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2007 #2
    Use the binomial formula for the first part of the question.
  4. Jul 27, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The probability he will get exactly two questions correct is pretty easy. What is it? As is the probability he will get at least 9 correct is the sum of the probabilities of getting getting exactly 9 correct plus the probability of getting exactly 10 correct. What are they? I'm not sure I see a way to do these without using at least a vestige of the binomial theorem. But someone may prove me wrong tomorrow.
  5. Jul 28, 2007 #4
    The binomial formula will give me exactly 9 right? how do I get at least 9?
  6. Jul 28, 2007 #5
    Add the prob of getting exactly 9 and the prob of getting exactly 10.
  7. Jul 28, 2007 #6
    Thanks, can you tell me how to find the probability of getting 2 correct without the binomial formula?
  8. Jul 28, 2007 #7
    It's a dumb question! Why on earth should they tell you not to use a particular theorem?
  9. Jul 28, 2007 #8
    OK, so how many distinct possibilities are there for scoring?

e.g. for 3 Q's there's 8 possibilities

For 10 Q's how many distinct possibilities are there?

Oops- there's 5 possible answers per Q. Well- can you work it out for that case?
  10. Jul 28, 2007 #9
    I am quite sure the OP is just looking for some clarity, dont be that harsh.o:)
  11. Jul 28, 2007 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps because they want people to think rather than just apply formulas? It wouldn't make sense to work it out from first principles for, say, 4 or 5 out of 10, but for "exactly 2" it shouldn't be too much to expect.

What is the probability of "CCIIIIIIII" where C= correct and I= incorrect?
    Can you show that the probability of 2 correct and 8 incorrect is exactly the same no matter what order?
    How many different orders are there- in how many ways can you write 2 Cs and 8 Is?
  12. Jul 28, 2007 #11
    Good grief!!

Threetheoreem: I was criticizing the Q, not the poster. The poster presumably didn't compose the question.

HOI: I said it's a dumb question because I don't like the idea of restricting how a student solves a problem. Give me the Q- but don't tell me how to find the A. It also takes intelligence to see if the binomial theorem is applicable in this case.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?