Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probablility questions.

1. Jul 6, 2005 #1
    erm... im facing one question that confused me..
    the problem as abt the problem on problem..
    the question is like this: there is two one red six-sided dice, one blue six-sided dice, and one red six sided dice.
    One possible outcome is (1, 2), i.e. the red dice shows “1”, and the blue dice shows “2”. and the question ask: are {3[red color] 4 [blue color] } and {4[red] 3[blue]} considered the same outcome or different??

my idea is that should be same, as the total result is 7 for both..
    wanna ask opinion from u guys..

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

They are probably considered different since you went to the trouble of having two color. It depends what you are doing, sometimes people who are only concerned about the sum use two colors, usually in probability problems nonidentical dice implies that we care what their individual values are.
  4. Jul 6, 2005 #3
    They should be different since they are different outcomes of the experiment. It helps to think of things in terms of how the experiment can turn out. For example say you flip two fair coins, what is the sample space?

(H,H), (H,T), (T,H), (T,T)

Notice that (H,T) is not the same result as (T,H)

Hope that helps
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?