Solving Laplace's Equation with Mass

• Thread starter homology
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a differential equation involving Laplace's equation and the possibility of a photon having mass. The solution involves a linear combination of e^{kr}/r and the conversation discusses the process of solving the equation using the substitution \psi = r \phi. The expert summarizer notes that in cylindrical and spherical coordinates, solutions often have a factor of 1/r or 1/r^2, and the differential equations often have the form 1/r^n d/dr (r^n times something).
homology
Hi folks, I'm drawing a blank on the following:

[tex]
\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}r^2\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r}+\mu^2 \phi=0
[/tex]

I 'know' the solutions which are linear combinations of [tex]e^{\pm\mu r}/r[/tex] as you can check, but I've been trying to see if I could show the fact (as opposed to just checking that it works, which it does).

Context: The above, as I'm sure you realize, is 'almost' Laplace's equation. "If" a photon had mass (the term [tex]\mu[/tex] would be proportional to it) the above equation would result for a region with no charge.

I'm guessing that the answer is simple so please be vague with your hints (I suppose that's almost asking for a smartass comment) as I'd like to figure it out myself.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand the differentials so you have a 2nd order equation.

Then substitute [itex]\psi = r \phi[/itex]

AlephZero said:
Expand the differentials so you have a 2nd order equation.

Then substitute [itex]\psi = r \phi[/itex]

awesome! was that inspired by experience or a general rule of thumb?

You said the solution was something like [itex]e^{kr}/r[/itex]. I know how to solve a DE with solutions like [itex]e^{kr}[/itex] so factoring out the r seemed like a good thing to try :smile:

In cylindrical and spherical coordinates, solutions often have a factor of 1/r or 1/r^2 compared with cartesian coordinates, because they represent something being spread out over a plane or solid angle, compared with a strip of constant width.

The DEs often have the form 1/r^n d/dr (r^n times something) as well.

I find this question intriguing and it raises some interesting concepts to consider. In general, Laplace's equation is used to describe the behavior of a scalar field in a region with no sources or sinks. In this case, the addition of the term \mu^2 \phi adds a mass term to the equation, which can be interpreted as the presence of a source or sink of mass in the region.

One possible approach to solving this equation would be to use separation of variables, where we assume that the solution can be written as a product of two functions, one that only depends on r (the radial coordinate) and one that only depends on \theta and \phi (the angular coordinates). This would give us a system of two ordinary differential equations, one for each function, which could then be solved using standard techniques.

Another approach could be to use the method of Green's functions, where we can write the solution as an integral over the region of interest. This method can be particularly useful for solving equations with non-homogeneous terms, such as the \mu^2 \phi term in this case.

In terms of showing that the solutions are linear combinations of e^{\pm\mu r}/r, we could use a combination of these approaches. By assuming a solution of the form e^{\mu r} for the first term, we can find the corresponding solution for the second term using separation of variables. This would then give us the general solution in the form of a linear combination of e^{\pm\mu r}/r.

Overall, the addition of a mass term in Laplace's equation adds an interesting twist to the problem and requires some additional techniques for solving. I would suggest exploring these techniques further and considering the implications of a mass term in the context of the physical system being studied.

1. How is Laplace's equation used to solve for mass?

Laplace's equation is a mathematical formula that describes the distribution of potential energy in a system. By solving this equation, we can determine the distribution of mass in a given system.

2. What is the significance of solving Laplace's equation with mass?

Solving Laplace's equation with mass allows us to understand the physical properties of a system and make predictions about its behavior. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics.

3. What are the key steps in solving Laplace's equation with mass?

The key steps in solving Laplace's equation with mass include defining the boundaries and initial conditions of the system, determining the governing equation, applying appropriate boundary conditions, and solving the resulting equation using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or numerical methods.

4. What are the applications of solving Laplace's equation with mass?

Solving Laplace's equation with mass has numerous applications, including determining the electric potential in electrical systems, understanding the flow of fluids in pipes and channels, and modeling heat transfer in materials.

5. What are some challenges in solving Laplace's equation with mass?

One challenge in solving Laplace's equation with mass is determining the appropriate boundary conditions, as these can greatly affect the solution. Additionally, in complex systems, it may be difficult to find analytical solutions and numerical methods may be required. Finally, the accuracy of the solution can be affected by the assumptions made in the initial setup of the problem.