1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probality questions

1. Dec 2, 2005 #1
    i have having with the question i have attached. can someone please help me?

:smile: thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What have YOU done on these problems? Where are you stuck?

They look pretty much like applying basic definitions and a little arithmetic.

4. Dec 3, 2005 #3
    i tried these questions but i get odd answers.

like for the first bit i got 2. which i dnt think is right?

can anyone verify the answers.

5. Dec 3, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For the "first bit" you got 2"?? You are aware that a probability must be between 0 and 1, aren't you?

Once again, what have you done on these problems? Not just what answer you got- what have you tried? It will be a lot easier to point out mistakes or give hints if we can see what you are doing.

6. Dec 3, 2005 #5
    ok i have redone my calculations . for part a) i calculated the possibilities for outcomes.

spinner 1 probality of it landing on A is 2/5 and the probality of it landing on B is 2/5 also.

spinner 2 probality of it landing on A is 3/5 and the probality of it landing on B is 1/5.

it is impossible for both of them to land on C or D because not both spinner have these two letters.

i thereafter multiply the outcomes of A and multiplied the outcomes of B. i then added these two values together.

A(2/5*3/5) = 6/25
    B(2/5*1/5) = 2/25

then i added 6/25+2/25= 8/25 which equals to 0.32.

therefore my answer is 0.32. is this correct?

part b) i firstly calculated the total amount of money which is 0.40*200= £80.

then i calculated the amount of people that should win which is 200*0.32= 64. therefore the profit amy should expect is £80-£64= £16

is this correct?

thanks for your help so far.

regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?