Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probality questions

1. Dec 2, 2005 #1
    i have having with the question i have attached. can someone please help me?

:smile: thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What have YOU done on these problems? Where are you stuck?

They look pretty much like applying basic definitions and a little arithmetic.

4. Dec 3, 2005 #3
    i tried these questions but i get odd answers.

like for the first bit i got 2. which i dnt think is right?

can anyone verify the answers.

5. Dec 3, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

For the "first bit" you got 2"?? You are aware that a probability must be between 0 and 1, aren't you?

Once again, what have you done on these problems? Not just what answer you got- what have you tried? It will be a lot easier to point out mistakes or give hints if we can see what you are doing.

6. Dec 3, 2005 #5
    ok i have redone my calculations . for part a) i calculated the possibilities for outcomes.

spinner 1 probality of it landing on A is 2/5 and the probality of it landing on B is 2/5 also.

spinner 2 probality of it landing on A is 3/5 and the probality of it landing on B is 1/5.

it is impossible for both of them to land on C or D because not both spinner have these two letters.

i thereafter multiply the outcomes of A and multiplied the outcomes of B. i then added these two values together.

A(2/5*3/5) = 6/25
    B(2/5*1/5) = 2/25

then i added 6/25+2/25= 8/25 which equals to 0.32.

therefore my answer is 0.32. is this correct?

part b) i firstly calculated the total amount of money which is 0.40*200= £80.

then i calculated the amount of people that should win which is 200*0.32= 64. therefore the profit amy should expect is £80-£64= £16

is this correct?

thanks for your help so far.

regards

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook