1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probe Slingshot dynamics

1. Dec 10, 2013 #1
    Really need help with this past exam question for revison:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A probe performs slingshot maoeuvre around planet. Mass of planet is 9x10^22kg. Mass of probe is 4x10^2 kg and approaches planet from a great distance with relative speed 2x10^3 m/s and impact parameter 6x10^7. Using gravitational constant, G, determine:

1) Specific Energy, C and Specific Angular momentum L and alpha.
    2) Closest approach distance of probe
    3) Max speed of probe

I have the equations, but they involve the semi-major axis which cant be used as Rmax and Rmin arent given here so i'm a little lost on where to being with this, if anyone could help out I would be eternally greatfull! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2
    The only equations necessary here are those of conservation of energy and angular momentum.

4. Dec 10, 2013 #3
    I found parts 1 and 2 but am stuck on finding Vmax at my Rmin value without knowing the Rmax to be able to calculate the semi-major axis and eccentricity.

5. Dec 10, 2013 #4
    Once you know (2), you can use both conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum to obtain the max speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted