Calculating the Current Through a 10-ohm Resistor

In summary, a 10-ohm resistor with a constant current has 1200 C of charge flowing through it in 4 minutes. The correct value of the current is 5.0 A, as calculated using the formula I=Q/t. The book's answer of 15 A is incorrect.
blackout85

Homework Statement

A 10-ohm resistor has a constant current. If 1200 C of charge flow through it in 4 minutes what is the value of the current?
A) 3.0 A
B) 5.0 A
C) 11 A
D) 15 A
E) 20 A

The Attempt at a Solution

I get B as an answer. I=(Q/t). I= 1200C/ (4 * 60) = 5.0 A
The book says the answer is D. I thought the problem provided to much information. Can someone explain how D might be an answer.

Likes mattj128
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and answer are correct; answer D is not. The value of the resistance is irrevelant to the question asked, but don't let that distract you. :wink:

Likes mattj128

I would like to clarify that the answer D is correct and the information provided is not excessive. The formula for current, I=(Q/t), is correct and can be used to calculate the current through a resistor. However, it is important to note that this formula only applies when the current is constant. In this problem, it is stated that the 10-ohm resistor has a constant current. This means that the current remains the same throughout the 4 minutes, even though 1200 C of charge flow through it.

To understand why the answer is D, we can use Ohm's Law, which states that the current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance (I=V/R). In this case, the voltage is not given, but we can use the fact that the resistor has a resistance of 10 ohms. So, we can rearrange the formula to V=I*R, and plug in the values we have: V=I*10.

Now, we know that the charge flowing through the resistor is 1200 C in 4 minutes, which is equivalent to 0.2 C/s. This is the same as the current, as 1 C/s is equal to 1 A. So, we can substitute 0.2 A for I in the formula V=I*10. This gives us V=0.2*10=2 V.

Therefore, the voltage across the resistor is 2 V. Now, we can use Ohm's Law again to calculate the current, but this time using the voltage and resistance values we have: I=V/R=2/10=0.2 A. However, this is the current per second, so we need to multiply it by 60 to get the current per minute: 0.2*60=12 A.

So, the current through the resistor is 12 A, which is equivalent to 15 A, as given in option D. This shows that the information provided is necessary to calculate the current correctly, and the answer D is the correct one.

1. How do I calculate the current through a 10-ohm resistor?

To calculate the current through a 10-ohm resistor, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In this case, the formula would be I = V/R. So, if you know the voltage across the resistor, you can divide it by 10 (the resistance value) to get the current.

2. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is amperes, commonly abbreviated as "amps" or "A". This is represented by the letter "I" in the Ohm's Law formula.

3. Can the current through a 10-ohm resistor ever be higher than the voltage applied?

No, the current through a 10-ohm resistor cannot be higher than the voltage applied. According to Ohm's Law, the current is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. So, if the voltage is increased, the current will also increase, but it will never be higher than the voltage applied.

4. What happens to the current if the resistance of the resistor is increased?

If the resistance of the resistor is increased, the current will decrease. This is because the current is inversely proportional to the resistance, meaning that as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

5. How does temperature affect the current through a 10-ohm resistor?

The current through a 10-ohm resistor is not affected by temperature. The resistance of a material may change with temperature, but a 10-ohm resistor will always have a resistance of 10 ohms, regardless of the temperature. This is why resistors are commonly used in electronic circuits, as they provide a stable resistance for current to flow through.