1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem 3.79: Centrifuge

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A laboratory centrifuge on earth makes n rpm (rev/min) and produces an acceleration of 3.40 g at its outer end.

Part A: What is the acceleration (in g's) at a point halfway out to the end?

Part B: This centrifuge is now used in a space capsule on the planet Mercury, where gMercury is 0.378 what it is on earth. How many rpm (in terms of n) should it make to produce 4 gMercury at its outer end?

2. Relevant equations

a = v2/R

3. The attempt at a solution

Well using the equation for centripetal acceleration, I figure if the Radius is half then the acceleration in g's would be double for part A. Is that right? or would it be half?

For part B I'm not exactly sure what to use or do. What kind of equation could I use?

Any help would be great! Thanks so much, really thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

since we are given rpm or 'ω', let's use a=ω2r instead.

So you know that at the outer end a= 3.40g=ω2r. Our ω in this case is n

so n2r=3.40g

Now halfway to the end is r/2 and ω is the same so we get now:

a1=n2(r/2) → (n2r)/2=a1

try dividing the two equations in red and get a1/3.40g = "something"

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    what do you mean by "dividing the two equations"? combine them? so a/3.40g = ((n^2r)/2))/n^2r ? I'm sorry, am i just looking into this way too much? I don't get what you're saying. because the way i see it. n is constant so when you half the radius, that also halves the acceleration right?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  5. Sep 19, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

yes that is what I meant by divide.

For the second part, the 'r' is the same at the outer end. So in terms of 'n' find the r using what happens on Earth. The use amercury=N2r

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    yup. i'm sorry i just dont get it. ugh. this whole mercury part it just not makin sense.

so i find r in terms of n and get: r = 3.4/n^2 <--- is that even right? can't be because then I don't see how that would give me what I'm looking for. i am just not good at this stuf....

7. Sep 22, 2009 #6
    nevermind! got it. thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?