Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Problem about Eigenvalues

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A linear operator given (a matrix). That could be an orthogonal protection (that goes through the origin) or a symmetry with respect to a plane (that goes through the origin).

1-Get the eigenvalues of linear operator
    2-Get the eigenspace associated with each eigenvalue.

3-Based on the previous calculations determine if the Operator is a symmetry or an orthogonal protection.

4-Describe an ortogonal base of the given plane, and complete it with a base of R^2
    The matrix with respect to the calculated base must have the form of the orthogonal projection or of the symmetric matrix

100 or 100
    010 010
    00-1 000
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the eigenvalues 1 and 0 therefore I'm assuming the operator is an orthogonal projection.

I got the eigenvectors

How can I start to do 4?

Im thinking about using gram schidt to get 3 ortogonal vectors and then to use them as a base .

Thanks a lot for any help, I appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

What is the given operator?

ehild

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    It is the matrix
    2 1 -1
    -1 0 1
    1 1 0

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Okay, so this is projection onto a line? What is that line? What is a vector in the direction of that line?

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    It seems to be is an orthogonal projection on a plane that goes through the origin.

For now Im confused, I was thinking about using the set of eigenbasis or eigenvectors of the linear operator B . and to use gram schmidt to get 3 orthogonal bases w1, w2 and w3

Im considering to evaluate w1 w2 and w3 with respect to the basis B to get the projection of the plane with respect to B.

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Once again, what are the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue?

8. Jul 17, 2012 #7
    the eigenvectors associated with the eigenvalue 1 are -1,1,0 and 1 0 1 .
    the ones associated with the eigenvalue 0 are 1 -1 1

9. Jul 18, 2012 #8

ehild

Homework Helper

Any linear combination of the eigenvectors belonging to 1 is also an eigenvector to λ=1. Find a combination of a=(1,0,1) and b=(-1,1,0) c=a+kb so the dot product a˙c=0 and choose a and c as orthogonal base in the plane.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook