1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem about Eigenvalues

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A linear operator given (a matrix). That could be an orthogonal protection (that goes through the origin) or a symmetry with respect to a plane (that goes through the origin).

1-Get the eigenvalues of linear operator
    2-Get the eigenspace associated with each eigenvalue.

3-Based on the previous calculations determine if the Operator is a symmetry or an orthogonal protection.

4-Describe an ortogonal base of the given plane, and complete it with a base of R^2
    The matrix with respect to the calculated base must have the form of the orthogonal projection or of the symmetric matrix

100 or 100
    010 010
    00-1 000
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the eigenvalues 1 and 0 therefore I'm assuming the operator is an orthogonal projection.

I got the eigenvectors

How can I start to do 4?

Im thinking about using gram schidt to get 3 ortogonal vectors and then to use them as a base .

Thanks a lot for any help, I appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the given operator?

ehild

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    It is the matrix
    2 1 -1
    -1 0 1
    1 1 0

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, so this is projection onto a line? What is that line? What is a vector in the direction of that line?

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    It seems to be is an orthogonal projection on a plane that goes through the origin.

For now Im confused, I was thinking about using the set of eigenbasis or eigenvectors of the linear operator B . and to use gram schmidt to get 3 orthogonal bases w1, w2 and w3

Im considering to evaluate w1 w2 and w3 with respect to the basis B to get the projection of the plane with respect to B.

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Once again, what are the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue?

8. Jul 17, 2012 #7
    the eigenvectors associated with the eigenvalue 1 are -1,1,0 and 1 0 1 .
    the ones associated with the eigenvalue 0 are 1 -1 1

9. Jul 18, 2012 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Any linear combination of the eigenvectors belonging to 1 is also an eigenvector to λ=1. Find a combination of a=(1,0,1) and b=(-1,1,0) c=a+kb so the dot product a˙c=0 and choose a and c as orthogonal base in the plane.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook