Finding the Laplace transform of a piecewise function

In summary: I am not sure "e^{-(s+1)t} = 0 ## when t = -∞## since the problem states that ##t ≤ 0##, not ##t < 0##In summary, the Laplace transform of the function f(t) = -e^{-t}, t ≤ 0 and f(t) = 0, t > 0 is F(s) = 1/(s+1), when s < -1, due to the use of equation (2). However, for s ≥ -1, the Laplace integral diverges. It should also be noted that the value of e^{-(s+1)t} is 0 when t = -∞.
Another

Homework Statement

##f(t) = -e^{-t}## ; ## t ≤ 0## and ##f(t) = 0## ;## t > 0 ## find Laplace transform this function.

Homework Equations

Laplace transform
##F(s) = \int_{[-∞<r<+∞]} f(t) e^{-st} dt##

The Attempt at a Solution

##F(s) = \int_{[-∞<r<0]} -e^{-t} e^{-st} dt +\int_{[0<r<+∞]} (0) e^{-st} dt ##
##F(s) = \int- e^{-(s+1)t} dt + 0## ,[-∞<r<0]
##F(s) = \frac{1}{s+1}[e^{-(s+1)t}]##

##e^{-(s+1)(0)}=1## when t = 0
##e^{-(s+1)t}= 0 ## when t = -∞ I'm not sure because t≤0 . when take -∞ to ##e^{-(s+1)t} = e^{-∞} = 0##

please check my solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Another said:

Homework Statement

##f(t) = -e^{-t}## ; ## t ≤ 0## and ##f(t) = 0## ;## t > 0 ## find Laplace transform this function.

Homework Equations

Laplace transform
##F(s) = \int_{[-∞<r<+∞]} f(t) e^{-st} dt##

The Attempt at a Solution

##F(s) = \int_{[-∞<r<0]} -e^{-t} e^{-st} dt +\int_{[0<r<+∞]} (0) e^{-st} dt ##
##F(s) = \int- e^{-(s+1)t} dt + 0## ,[-∞<r<0]
##F(s) = \frac{1}{s+1}[e^{-(s+1)t}]##

##e^{-(s+1)(0)}=1## when t = 0
##e^{-(s+1)t}= 0 ## when t = -∞ I'm not sure because t≤0 . when take -∞ to ##e^{-(s+1)t} = e^{-∞} = 0##

please check my solution

If ##s < -1## you get ##F(s) = 1/(s+1)##. When ##s \geq -1## the Laplace integral diverges.

Likes Another

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that finds the area under a curve. It is used to solve problems involving accumulation, such as finding the total distance traveled given a velocity function.

2. What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. Differentiation finds the slope of a curve at a specific point, while integration finds the area under the curve between two points. In other words, differentiation is the process of finding a function's rate of change, while integration is the process of finding a function itself.

3. How is integration used in real life?

Integration has numerous real-life applications, including calculating areas and volumes in engineering and physics, determining probabilities in statistics, and analyzing data in economics and finance. It is also used in fields such as biology, chemistry, and computer science.

4. What are the different integration techniques?

The most common integration techniques are substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques are used to solve different types of integrals and make the process more manageable.

5. How do I know if my integration answer is correct?

To check if your integration answer is correct, you can plug it back into the original function and see if it produces the original function. You can also use online tools or software to verify your answer. Additionally, double-checking your steps and paying attention to the limits of integration can help ensure accuracy.