Answer: Solving Integral of sin2x/1+sin²x dx

• Thread starter Cradle_of_Knowledge
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integration problem involving the expression sin2x/1+sin²x. Two methods are presented, one using a trigonometric identity and the other using a substitution. The final answer for the integral is ln(1+sin²x)+c, with additional hints on how to solve the integral.
Cradle_of_Knowledge
Hi,

I don't know where is to place this thread. Please can you solve the following integeration problem.
(Note: sign of integeration is replaced by "S").

S sin2x/1+sin²x dx

the answer in the book is "ln(1+sin²x)+c"

Physics news on Phys.org
rewrite the numerator using the trig identity sin(2x) = 2 sin(x)cos(x)
then look for a nice substitution.

Could you explain your answer!

[tex]\int \frac{\sin 2x}{1+sin^2 x}\,dx[/tex]

Put [itex]u = 1 + sin^2 x[/itex]. Then:

[tex]du = 2 \sin x \cos x\,dx = \sin 2x\,dx[/tex]

So, your integral becomes:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{u}\,du = \ln u + c = \ln (1 + \sin^2 x) + c[/tex]

We can do the following:

[tex] sin(2x) = 2 sin(x)cos(x) [/tex]

This can be placed in for sin(2x), giving us:

[tex] \frac{2sin(x)cos(x)}{1 + sin^2(x)} [/tex]

Now we make a u-substitution:

[tex] u= 1+ sin^2 (x) [/tex]

So

[tex] du = 2sin(x)cos(x)dx [/tex]

and we can replace the integral as such:

[tex] \int \frac{1}{u}du [/tex]

Now this is simply 1/u which equals ln (u)

so the anwser is ln(u), where u is equal to what we previously stated:

[tex] ln(1+sin^2(x))+C [/tex]

where C is the constant of integration.

I hope that helps you out.

Cheers,

Cyrus

Edit: Damn, james beat me to it!GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Doh! Don't you hate it when that happens! :grumpy:

But it's never a wasted post. Seeing two ways of doing it, even though they're essentially the same, are always better then just one.

quasar987 said:
But it's never a wasted post. Seeing two ways of doing it, even though they're essentially the same, are always better then just one.

I agree with you totally on this. I always found it comforting having more than one way to work a problem.

Can you solve this too
S (sinx-cos)² dx

Answer:- x+sin2x/2 +c

Expand it out, and solve the integral, its not hard once you expand it. You will have a sin squared term, plus a cos squared term, which add up to one, plus a -2sinxcosx term. And if you notice, you can use the trig identity from your first question.

Cradle_of_Knowledge said:
Hi,

I don't know where is to place this thread. Please can you solve the following integeration problem.
(Note: sign of integeration is replaced by "S").

S sin2x/1+sin²x dx

the answer in the book is "ln(1+sin²x)+c"

1) sin2x=2sinxcosx

2) u=sinx => du=cosx dx

the intergral come:

2 * intergral{ u/(1+u^2) du}

make substitution as again.

this time let w= 1+u^2 => dw= 2u du

blah blah...

1. What is integration and why is it important?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to solve problems related to rates of change, such as finding the velocity of an object or the total amount of a substance produced over time.

2. What are the different methods of integration?

The most common methods of integration include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Other methods include trigonometric substitution, using tables of integrals, and numerical integration.

3. How can I determine when to use a particular method of integration?

The choice of method depends on the form of the integrand. For example, substitution is useful for integrals involving functions raised to powers, while integration by parts is helpful for products of functions. Familiarity with the properties of different types of functions can also guide the choice of method.

4. Can integration be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration is a powerful tool for solving real-world problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the area under a demand curve, or the volume of a fluid flowing through a pipe.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating?

One common mistake is forgetting to add the constant of integration when finding the antiderivative. Another mistake is incorrectly applying substitution or integration by parts. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to avoid errors.